Visiting Family North and South


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Chagrin Falls
April 5th 2017
Published: June 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Snow!?Snow!?Snow!?

Early April and after a tiring trip, we woke to 6" of snow. Most snow we had seen in over 6 years. So we sat back, relaxed, and enjoyed.
My father is downsizing and moving to a smaller apartment, still in the retirement complex. We wanted to help so planned to get there early to help pack, move and get him settled in. We didn't get away until early afternoon on the first day and got just north of Knoxville where we found a Walmart and settled in for the night. A write-up in a review said it was "quiet" and "far from the road". Must have been a different spot; it was noisy, we had over a dozen 18-wheelers pull in for the night, and we had rain and heavy winds. Not restful. So next morning we got up in the dark and headed through the mountains in rain, fog, wind and taffic, mostly trucks.

We arrived Thursday late afternoon, set up, then drove to Chagrin to see the folks. Mom was in the nursing home undergoing rehab following a stroke in December and Dad was organizing, packing, sorting, and throwing out stuff in advance of moving to a smaller apartment. We looked at the new apartment and wondered aloud if everything would fit. But our job was to help pack and move stuff, so we settled in
Snow-personSnow-personSnow-person

Friend from Alabama couldn't believe we had snow and wanted to see a snowman as proof. So we rolled a small one. Then left to see Dad. While we were gone, campground owner's wife walked by and added two sticks for arms.
to get the work done over the weekend. Brother Steve and wife Sandy were coming from Detroit for the weekend to help and brother Todd had already pitched in and moved a few things and helped Dad pack. After seeing Mom and chatting with Dad, we headed back to the campsite in Chesterland for dinner and sleep.

Next morning we awoke to a weird silence...snow had fallen and we had a couple of inches on the ground. The cat wanted out and so I pulled on jacket and hat, grabbed a camera and went out. The cat came out the step, paused, looked around, and just sat. He has not seen snow before, at least not this much. He quickly went under the RV (where it was dry) and tried to figure out how to deal with it. Finally he decided to try digging a hole in the snow, squatting and taking care of business. He finished, quickly covered the spot with snow and decided he wanted back in the RV. Yeah, not a Northern cat.

I had coffee, Trish got up and we watched TV. It was going to snow all morning and the total would be
Iron MikeIron MikeIron Mike

Special Operations museum at Ft. Bragg, NC. Saw history of rangers, Green Berets and Special Ops. Very impressive and sobering.
about 6". Shortly after the news, we got a call from Dad who suggested we sit tight and not worry about packing right then. We eventually went in after lunch and spent time with Mom and then pack to do some packing of dishes, food stuffs, etc. and clearing out of closets. I received a call from a contractor friend in Alabama who wanted to tell me about a good deal he had found and when I told him we had snow, he could scarcely believe it. He wanted me to build a snowman and send a picture to prove it. So when we got back to the RV, that's exactly what we did! The cat wanted out again and was not happy to find the snow was still there. But he had figured out how to cope, so made the best of it.

The weekend was spent packing, wrapping, moving boxes and doing all we could to see Mom, help Dad, and reconnect with family. One evening it was just the boys and families that went to dinner. The movers arrived and packed all the big stuff, hauled it down and set it up. Then in addition to
Jacksonville Equestrian CenterJacksonville Equestrian CenterJacksonville Equestrian Center

When the RV park at NAS Jacksonville was full, they recommended we try here. It's now quite as good and lacks wifi and bathhouse, but is a good alternative and a bit closer to the kids.
helping arrange, we also got to finish cleaning the old apartment, and figure out how to help Dad get everything fitted in. The brothers had to go back to work, so Trish and I stayed and helped as much as we could, but eventually, it was down to Dad deciding what he wanted and where. When we reached that point, we told him we were heading off to see friends in NC and then down to FL to see the kids and grandsons. Dad said he had it under control and could finish in afternoons and evenings. We promised to come back in a couple of months.

When we left northeast OH, we took I-77 south to NC. It was a beautiful trip, easy for the RV and we spent a night at Tamarack rest area in WV where they had RV spaces (no facilities) set up for travelers. Got a good meal from chefs trained at The Greenbriar and a reasonably restful night. Then on the next day with a brief stop in Mt. Airy, NC, boyhood home of Andy Griffith. Wow...it was all things Mayberry. This quaint, friendly town bears going back for a few days to
Only camper after the weekendOnly camper after the weekendOnly camper after the weekend

Once the equine events were over, and folks cleared out, we had the place to ourselves. We'd stay here in the future if the Navy base were full.
see the sights, visit homes, and have some trips down old time TV memory lane. We got to our friend's home in Lillington that afternoon and set up the RV in the shade for a few days stay.

Kurt and Annette are friends from VA who retired to the Ft. Bragg area. We had visited before and this trip was to the improvements to the kitchen, spend more time seeing the area and relax and laugh. As usual, we dined on Carolina barbecue and then one day went to the Special Operations Museum at Ft. Bragg. It was a really awesome trip. All too soon we packed up and headed to FL to see Josh and family, but Kurt and Annette promised to come visit in AL in a few weeks. They had never been here to see our retirement home and RV pad.

We managed to get from Ft Bragg to Jacksonville in one day; not spectacular, but as we age, we find pushing that much is really tiring. Our favorite campground at the Naval Air Station was full so we headed to the Jacksonville Equestrian Center instead. I had called, filled out forms, given credit card
Xander getting coaching lessonsXander getting coaching lessonsXander getting coaching lessons

Both boys are enrolled in tennis classes. Xander is getting some up close and personal advice from the coach. They both seem to really enjoy it and are having fun.
info--everything to get a spot. I was supposed to have a confirmation but never did. I called while on the way there and was told I had a spot and the gate guard would have the info for us. Well, gate guard only had a pass, no idea where we were to go. So we found a site, I went into the huge building (they were having a horse show so lots of campers, trailers, riders, audience all over) and someone finally came out, turned on the electricity for the site I had selected, and we could hook up. It was quite disjointed and confusing, but it worked. (I went back during a regular work day and spoke to the young woman who said she had left all the info. She also said she had submitted the info to debit my credit card. Almost 2 months later and still to record on my credit card. These people need organizational help!)

Once set up we went to see Josh and family and had a really good visit. We helped Josh rebuild a rabbit cage, went out for breakfast to our favorite diner, went to a Japanese spot Jen and the
Drew charges the netDrew charges the netDrew charges the net

Drew is becoming more aggressive in tennis and will charge the net and slam the ball back. He can also hit it gently and keep a volley going.
boys (and the rest of us) all liked, and ended up the last night at a Greek restaurant. Jen really wanted to go see "Beauty and the Beast". The boys said it was a girl's movie and we quickly told them it was not and we had seen it and liked it. OK, now they want to go. So I bought the tickets and we all went ($10 each for a matinee!) plus popcorn for $12...yikes--we're not in Boaz Alabama anymore, Toto. (We get tickets, large popcorn and two large drinks for under $20 here.) The theater is new and has recliners like a Lazyboy with no sight obstructions and really hard to see or hear others. Great experience and lots of fun; the boys ended up liking the movie.

Another day we went to the tennis courts to watch the boys practice and learn. They have a fun coach who makes it enjoyable with no pressure for the kids and yet challenges them. Both boys really did well and seemed to enjoy the sport. They had soccer games on Saturday, but we were leaving that day and wanted to get home to clean and set up because Kurt
Xander using Chris Everet backhandXander using Chris Everet backhandXander using Chris Everet backhand

Coaches encourage the kids to use 2 handed backstroke. Xander has amazing strength and control.
and Annette were coming in less than a week for a visit. Maybe next time we'll get to see soccer.

Only fly in the ointment for the trip was our A/C in the roof for the living quarters gave up the ghost one day so it was hard to keep the place cool for the cat and us. Evenings we turned the A/C on in the bed room and used a small fan to blow it out to the rest of the RV. Then we shut off bedroom A/C and blew cool air back towards us. Not totally acceptable. So wanted to get home and get that issued fixed.

We left early Saturday AM and planned to stop in Albany GA. But as we got near, it was only noon, so we said we'd go on to Columbus, GA and spend the night. We had clear skies, dry roads, minimal traffic and in Columbus it was only a bit past 3. So, we kept going. We got home that evening well before dark and after unloading the food, settled back to relax and finish cleaning the RV the next day. All in all, a good trip helping family,
Empty lot of campgroundEmpty lot of campgroundEmpty lot of campground

Lots of spaces for campers--over 75. Very little use other than during horse events.
seeing family and friends, and finding some new places to visit and eat.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0491s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb