Celebrating 90 Years!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Chagrin Falls
November 3rd 2015
Published: March 11th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Grandma with IndukanteGrandma with IndukanteGrandma with Indukante

Indukante (nee Jackie Rode) was Maid of Honor at Karen's wedding. She IS family.
WOW!! Mom was going to be celebrating her 90th birthday in November and Dad and the kids had been planning this for some time. Originally it was to be a big party with lots of people (like Dad's 90th last year, hosted and planned by Mom) but on reflection, Mom decided it was too much; too much noise, too much money, too much confusion. So we went with a smaller, family oriented celebration.

The luncheon was at the Welshfield Inn in Burton and was Mom's choice. We had a private room and it was well catered. Mom knew family was coming, but not exactly who, so she was very pleased to see all three sons and spouses, Karen's husband Jay Wilkinson, most of her grandchildren, and several great-grandchildren. In addition, I had contacted sister Karen's best friend from high school and college days, Indukante (nee Jackie Rode) at my high school reunion in July and invited her. She came with one of her daughters and caught Mom completely by surprise! (I had told Dad ahead of time, in case he felt the need to let Mom know.)

After the luncheon, we all returned to the Clubhouse in Hamlet Hills for cake and ice cream, including cake for Kelli and Kory, Todd's twins, who have the same birthday as Grandma! Grandpa had collected pictures, memorabilia, and items of meaning for Grandma and we had those on display. Carole and Kim (who came up from VA) decorated the clubhouse and in addition to the cake and ice cream, we had chips/dip, veggie tray, and crackers and cheese. (Of course, we had chocolate, too, for Grandma.)

Following the party, Kim stayed on for an extra day and we spent time with my folks, relaxing and sharing stories. Kim stayed with us in the RV and it was the first time we used the fold out sofa. It actually worked out quite well; when I would get up early in the morning, I would wake Kim, she'd go in the back and get in bed with Trish, and I'd close the sliding door and could make coffee, walk the cat, and watch TV without bothering anyone. Kim did manage to help Grandpa get his smart TV set up to play music from Pandora. She also took me shopping for a smart phone, so I would understand what I was getting into if/when
Todd's twins, Kory and Kelli, also had a birthdayTodd's twins, Kory and Kelli, also had a birthdayTodd's twins, Kory and Kelli, also had a birthday

Kory and Kelli are a special birthday present to Grandma 18 years ago. It's always fun to share the birthdays. This year we had separate cakes for the celebrants.
I got one.

One morning Trish and I went in to Chagrin Falls to meet Pete Collins and his fiancee, Kathleen. Pete was the JAG officer at Iwakuni in 2000 and became the XO (thus, my boss). Because he was originally from northeast Ohio, we always had a good time discussing the Indians, Browns and Ohio weather. We've stayed in touch and Pete was one of the people I had as a special invitee at my retirement ceremony.

The visit, as always, was way too short, and when we left, we headed home in heavy winds. Finally, south of Columbus, we got off the interstate for state routes and away from the wind. We got across the Ohio into Kentucky and spent the night at a Walmart, grateful to have avoided the bulk of the heavy weather.

Now, this is about my Mom's 90th birthday. But mention does need to be made of the FUBAR in driving up. How many things could go wrong? Well.....

1) We pulled into a Walmart on the way north and spent the night. I turned on the generator to watch TV and use the microwave. BUT, the generator won't work
Clubhouse decorated with memorabiliaClubhouse decorated with memorabiliaClubhouse decorated with memorabilia

Grandpa provided lots of pictures, scrapbooks and other memorabilia for family to look at and talk about. Carole made special banners for the birthday boy and girls.
if there is less than 1/4 tank of gas (a good safety measure). Apparently, I had less than 1/4 tank. SO...

2) I pulled out a trusty MRE from a military surplus store and we would have meatloaf and potatoes. Except, I couldn't get the heating packet to heat the food. So we ended up opening it and heating it on the stove (which runs on propane). Not one of Trish's favorite meals.

3) We were almost to the folks on the interstate when a pickup truck pulling a trailer with lawn mowing equipment pulled around us and then blew a tire on the trailer. The "gator" rolled under the RV and car we were towing and I heard metal dragging on the pavement. Trish did an excellent job of driving and quickly pulled over. The tail pipe had been knocked loose and was dragging, so I disconnected it and put it in the underside for insurance and repair.

4) We got to the campground, set up, and went to see the folks. Next day, I was going in by myself and again drove the car, but part way in, the Check Engine light came on, Low
Grandma rememberingGrandma rememberingGrandma remembering

Mom enjoyed looking at the scrapbooks and pictures, recalling events from 90 years. She was surrounded by love, respect and admiration from the older to youngest family members.
Oil light and there was funny noises. I turned around and drove back to the RV, stopping at a service station where they ran a diagnostic and told me not to drive the car. (Did I mention, part of the plastic around the tire had also been ripped away by the gator?) And no, we did not get insurance information from the other driver as he quickly disconnected his trailer and drove off to get a new tire. In fairness, I don't think he realized he had caused us damage.

5) We had been at this campground many times and our cat is familiar with it. Often we walk him on a leash, but sometimes he is allowed to go out and explore; never had a problem. This time, one of the permanent residents had a territorial Tom who resented our cat's presence, so after several hissing fits, we ended up leaving him in, which caused him to be angry at us and a PIA at night.

But we did limp home OK and managed to get all vehicles repaired and ready for our next venture out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Nathan and Heather going back in timeNathan and Heather going back in time
Nathan and Heather going back in time

The Wilkinsons came from Minnesota with family and Nathan enjoyed showing Heather some family history in the old photo albums.
Grace having lunchGrace having lunch
Grace having lunch

Youngest member present, Grace (daughter of Nathan and Heather) was a lively addition to the festivities. She did share some of her french fries if people asked.
Indukante and TrishIndukante and Trish
Indukante and Trish

Trish had a good time chatting with Indukante and invited her to come visit next time she was in the southeast.
Grandma being sillyGrandma being silly
Grandma being silly

We got a birthday hat and a sash with Happy 90th for Grandma. She enjoyed being Queen for a Day (who remembers THAT show?!) But then, Mom was always queen in our house, and a benevolent one at that!
Kim helping GrandpaKim helping Grandpa
Kim helping Grandpa

Grandpa wanted Pandora on his smart TV and Kim spent almost 2 hours, on line, on the phone, and working to get the program up and running. Finally she had it and now the folks can listen to all the good music they want through the TV. (Now Dad says he needs a sound bar, or surround sound to give better audio quality.)
Pete Collins and KathleenPete Collins and Kathleen
Pete Collins and Kathleen

Gen (R) Pete Collins was my XO when we were in Japan. We met him and fiancee Kathleen in a diner in Chagrin Falls for coffee. It was great to finally meet Kathleen and share stories. Hopefully we'll get to see more of her next time we are visiting the folks.


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb