We Found Snow!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Franklin
January 26th 2015
Published: March 3rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Don with his 1st snowball!  Don with his 1st snowball!  Don with his 1st snowball!

He's trying to aim at me...thankfully, he missed....but I didn't!! Ha ha ha ha!!!! (evil grin)
Welcome to the very first post of Kay and Don's travel blog. We are so excited that we finally were able to see snow falling and snow on the ground! This is a first for both of us!! 50plus years and this is our first snow sighting...sad, but true! We've been on the road for well over a week, making stops at Lake Waldena and Pensacola Beach, Florida, then moving on to Forsyth, Ga, and on to Franklin, NC. Everyone we meet thinks its hilarious that we are chasing snow. Most of the campgrounds are empty. Apparently, we are the only nuts going NORTH!!



So anyway, today, we rented a beautiful black Ford Explorer, because you need 4 wheel drive to get through 2 inches of snow. Then we found out from a few people that if we headed west on highway 64 (toward Murphy, NC) we would see snow. We drove, watched the skies, and sure enough, were greeted with the most amazing, beautiful sight. The trees were frosted with snow, the ground was covered with snow, and there were lovely icicles dripping from the granite walls on the sides of the highway.

Don and I
Beautiful, but brrr!Beautiful, but brrr!Beautiful, but brrr!

Our first view of real snow. It was in the low 30's in Western North Carolina on the day it snowed. The next day, it was 12 degrees, farenheit! Too cold for us Floridians!
threw a couple of small, pitiful snowballs at eachother, freezing next to death while we did! I have to say that it was so much fun, and one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. I hope that there is more snow tomorrow.

Snow is predicted at our campground, according to our hosts, who are wonderful people. We are staying at The Great Outdoors RV Resort in Franklin, NC...great place!

http://gorvresort.com/


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Another view of snow on the ground.Another view of snow on the ground.
Another view of snow on the ground.

We pulled off on the side of the road, on the way to Murphy, NC. There was alot of snow on the mountaintops, and we heard a stream running where we stopped to take pics, and play in the snow. There wasn't enough to make snow angels, though. :(
Ft. Pickins, Pensacola Beach, FloridaFt. Pickins, Pensacola Beach, Florida
Ft. Pickins, Pensacola Beach, Florida

Beautiful sunset at the end of Florida's peninsula. Amazing sight.
Sun dropping into the Gulf of MexicoSun dropping into the Gulf of Mexico
Sun dropping into the Gulf of Mexico

Sunset at the edge of Florida's peninsula
Sun is almost goneSun is almost gone
Sun is almost gone

Pensacola Beach, Ft. Pickins.
Lake Waldena, FloridaLake Waldena, Florida
Lake Waldena, Florida

Campground at Lake Waldena, near Silver Springs, Florida
View of Lake Waldena from our campsiteView of Lake Waldena from our campsite
View of Lake Waldena from our campsite

A great fishing spot, and also lovely homes built along the lakeside. Lots of different birds call it home, too!
Sand Cranes eating breakfastSand Cranes eating breakfast
Sand Cranes eating breakfast

A pair of Sand Cranes visiting us, looking for an easy, cheap meal!


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb