A Carolina Surprise


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
United States' flag
North America » United States » North Carolina » Durham
October 3rd 2019
Saved: January 1st 2021
Edit Blog Post

I ran into an article about some unknown facts about North Carolina. That confirms the state has more than tobacco and basketball? Maybe, you decide!



Carolina is the birthplace of both Pepsi and Krispy Kreme. They also probably have dentists running the state health department. Pepsi was the grand design of a drugstore owner in 1893, originally named "Brad's Drink" but later rebranded into Pepsi Cola. In 1933, Vern Rudolph bought an ultra secret doughnut recipe from a New Orleans chef, and opened his place in 1937.



Speaking of sugar, can you believe cotton candy was invented by a dentist? They originally called it candy floss, not to be confused with dental floss, which was invented about the same time!



America's biggest mansion is here, the Biltmore Estate, built by George Vanderbilt II in the 1800s. But even better than the 255 rooms, is their very own winery!!! It was designed by the same man responsible for Central Park, Frederick Law Olmstead.



The tallest brick lighthouse in America is located at Cape Hatteras. It is 210 feet tall (19 stories), and has a range of 24 nautical miles, whatever that means.



If you can see beyond the tobacco smoke, North Carolina does offer something besides tobacco and basketball. Pinehurst has some fabulous golf courses, and has hosted both the men's and women's U.S. Open Golf Championships. And the big universities here, Duke, Wake, UNC Chapel Hill, and NC State offer a wide variety of majors and basketball teams.



It turns out that UNC Chapel Hill is the oldest state University in the U.S. And I am proud to have done my post grad work there. The Tarheels, is a nickname for North Carolinians that supposedly came from the days when NC produced a lot of tar, and someone saw a set of footprints made by someone who had stepped in the tar.



In 1903, the Wright Brothers made their famous flight at Kitty Hawk. Make note of the fact that the Wright Brothers owned a bicycle shop!



High Point, NC is known as the furniture capital of the world.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.437s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 35; qc: 150; dbt: 0.2789s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb