Chimney Rock


Advertisement
Published: May 22nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday was a day to explore the natural features of the Western North Carolina mountains. The previous day's rain had cleared, we would see the features! We followed US 74A southeast from Asheville to Chimney Rock. Chimney Rock is a large natural formation shaped like--a chimney. It is described as a a 315 foot (96 m) granite monolith overlooking Hickory Nut Gorge and Lake Lure. One enters the site from the highway and then follow a winding road up to the parking lot. From there, a trail leads to Chimney Rock itself, or there is also an elevator. A gift shop and cafe are located next to the rock, but do not detract from the impressive sight. Chimney Rock itself has a overlook that enables a view of Lake Lure below and the Great Smoky Mountains in the distance. A trail leads from the "Chimney" further up the cliffs to the "Opera Box", a sheltered rock overhang reminiscent of a parterre box, and finally to Exclamation Point. Spectacular views of the Chimney, the valley below, and the distant mountains can be had from both locations.

Near Chimney Rock is Lake Lure, a destination for recreational boating and swimming. We drove around the perimeter of the lake. It was a bit early in the season, so no aquatic activity was going on.

Our meanderings through the mountains found us at town of Black Mountain. Lunch was at the Veranda Cafe, a restaurant situated in an old house, where a unique menu offering was cornbread mixed with jalapeƱos. They were tasty, and I haven't encountered that combination since. Looking around the town, we picked up area information at the Visitor Center, the former railway station. From Black Mountain, we traveled further on to Old Fort, another town in the mountains.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Lake LureLake Lure
Lake Lure

Lake Lure viewed from Chimney Rock.. NC013p1
Black Mountain DepotBlack Mountain Depot
Black Mountain Depot

Former Southern Railway station at Black Mountain, NC. Adaptive reuse as the town visitor center. Contributing resource, Black Mountain Downtown Historic District. National Register of Historic Places 04000570NC026
Black Mountain DepotBlack Mountain Depot
Black Mountain Depot

Former Southern Railway station at Black Mountain, NC. Adaptive reuse as the town visitor center. Contributing resource, Black Mountain Downtown Historic District. National Register of Historic Places 04000570. NC019p1


Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0317s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb