Cape Hatteras National Seashore, North Carolina


Advertisement
Published: June 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We arrived at Cape Hatteras 6 days ago. Great trip across North Carolina with mostly clear weather. When it does rain here it rains buckets! We crossed 4 bridges to get the Outer Banks. The one bridge is 11 miles long and crosses the Intercoastal Waterway. Halfway across the bridge we were stopped while the bridge turns sideways to allow yachts and sailboats to pass through. It was fascinating to watch.

We are staying in a campground near the town of Buxton. We have a site right on the water looking east on Pamlico Sound. The Outer Banks (Cape Hatteras Island) are not more than 1 mile wide at any point. You may have heard of Cape Hatteras Lighthouse which is famous for guiding ships through treacherous water near the island. There are many ships from several hundred years on the bottom of the ocean just off shore of the island. We visited a museum which has a great history of the ships that have gone down many during the Civil War.

We spent one day taking a ferry with 35 cars across to Ocracoke Island. There is one town on the island and they have lots of restaurants and shops. It was a 1 hour trip each way with beautiful views of Pamlico Sound and small islands and inlets.

A real treat happened when one of our Rent-A-Kids, Hannah Nicksic, drove from her home in Rocky Mount with her boyfriend Mitch to spend a night with us. Hannah grew up in Page and is now working for Teach for America in a high school teaching chemistry and science. So nice to see her!

Yesterday we went to the Atlantic Ocean side and watched kite surfers in a competition jumping over 8 foot waves. The kites are all different colors and the men and women riding these waves are in unbelievable shape. If only we were younger we would have loved to have tried this!

We have had great meals with shrimp and flounder. Everything is caught fresh here so it is great to enjoy the local fish.

Tomorrow we leave for a 4 day trip to Connecticut where we will spend 7 days. Our 4 days includes crossing Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New York to get to Connecticut. See you in Madison, Connecticut!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Possible new boat?Possible new boat?
Possible new boat?

While at lunch we saw this boat. Needs a little work but we might make on offer...


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb