The Big Apple


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
June 20th 2005
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.8921, -77.0241

I never thought I'd visit central America. However, when I heard that my Canadian friend Mathieu was going to be spending New Year there, i was very tempted. I decided New York was one of those places that had to be visited in a lifetime and now was as good a time as any. Rebecca (my annoying little sister) decided to seize the opportunity as well. The New York toy stores didn't know what was coming at them!

It was quite something actually being in New York, the city that is just everywhere all over the world. I didn't fall in love with it, like I seem to do with everywhere else but it was really great to see. Just a bit too big, developed and materialistic for my liking. It wasn't dramatically different from Britain, just bigger and more famous.

On arrival, STA travel had messed up our hotel booking and we were left shelterless for New Years Eve! Not the best of starts and it was extremely unlikely that we would be able to find somewhere else to stay. However, perserverence eventually paid off and they found us a grotty room to stay in. New Year was fantastic, passing through the crowds in Time Square to get to The China Club (very fitting!) We felt like VIPs. Definitely celebrated the new Year in style.

Times Square is the heart of the city and all the adverts are quite something. We definitely got to appreciate them whilst we queued for cheap tickets to Broadway. We saw Bombay Dreams (absolutely fantastic) and Mama Mia (tacky but fun). Our favourite destination was The Toys R Us store that had a big wheel in the middle of it and much to our delight, Fraggles!! A visit to the UN headquarters is very worthwhile. Another highlight was our 'Champagne Limo tour.' 1 hr in a stretch limo, cruising the streets of New York, sharing with some very fun Mexicans.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

China TownChina Town
China Town

I felt quite at home!
Fraggles!!Fraggles!!
Fraggles!!

They must have thought 'mad british' as we ran towards the fraggles, shouting out in glee, pushing people out of the way!
Gospel ChurchGospel Church
Gospel Church

We took a tour to a Harlem Gospel Church. Quite an experience! 'Oh Happy Day!..'
Korea TownKorea Town
Korea Town

I was hoping to find banfan as good as the ones in Tianjin :)
Limo rideLimo ride
Limo ride

Cruising through New York in style. Rebecca's 21st Birthday treat
MacDonaldsMacDonalds
MacDonalds

Couldn't be in America without it!!
ManhattanManhattan
Manhattan

A view of Manhattan Island from the ferry crossing
MexicansMexicans
Mexicans

The Mexicans who we shared our limo with certainly knew how to have fun!
Monster SquirrelsMonster Squirrels
Monster Squirrels

Hyde Park is full of squirrels. They seem to have stolen them from London's Hyde Park. The difference being that the New York ones are HUGE. Whereas the London ones are all hiding up in the treetops the New York ones are too fat and lazy to climb trees and just sit around!
Mr Potatoe headMr Potatoe head
Mr Potatoe head

In The Disney Store you can create your own special New York Mr Potatoe Head. You get to keep whatever you can fit into the box. Ours was the most effectively packed Mr Potatoe Head ever. Rebecca's Design and technology degree did have a use after all!
New York StreetNew York Street
New York Street

I loved seeing all the New York yellow taxis.
Posh Toy StorePosh Toy Store
Posh Toy Store

The German toy store near Hyde Park was wonderful. The toys really looked real. I am holding an Ewok :)
The Disney StoreThe Disney Store
The Disney Store

Invasion of The Williams!!
The localsThe locals
The locals

Rebecca makes a new friend!
The World's first skyscraperThe World's first skyscraper
The World's first skyscraper

Looks like a slice of cake!


Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb