Liberty Day in NYC!!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
July 19th 2015
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.7528, -73.9853

Our 3rd day in NYC started early, unfortunately for Alejandro. I purchased tickets for us to visit Liberty Island, where the Statute of Liberty stands tall, before our trip started. Having planned somewhat ahead, and knowing there was a professional volleyball tournament in the city, I scheduled us for an early tour so I could make it later in the afternoon to the men's finals. So off we went, grabbing a quick breakfast in the hotel lobby. We left at 7:00 am to catch our 8 am ferry to the great American monument. New York, always presenting some challenge to overcome, gave us a puzzle to solve. How to get to Battery Park and the Ferry from Times Square when construction has closed the usual #1 train from running all the way. Now maturing as public transit travelers, we quickly navigated our way using the 2/3 train as far as it would go. A quick jump to a waiting bus and we were taking to Battery Park. Alex and I, along with a group of others with tickets on the 8 am ferrry started an Amazing Race style run across the park to the terminal. Not sure why we felt like we had to beat them, will did, just the same. At this point, we figured out, the boat was not actually scheduled to leave until 8:30. Oops, sorry I made you run buddy, but we beat that other family that thought the boat was leaving at 8 as well. Safely on board, we cruised slowly toward Lady Liberty. I can't imagine the emotions felt by those past individuals immigrating to the US, having just completed months of cross Atlantic travel, as they approached the Statute of Liberty on their way to Ellis Island. What a fitting monument to welcome the new Americans. We were not able to get tickets to the crown, which may have been a blessing in disguise, as far as I am concerned. The way to the crown is via a small spiral stairway all the way to the top. We were able to view the NYC skyline from the pedestal of the Statute. This was a very nice view. Returning to Battery Park, we had a couple places still to see. We headed over to Freedom Tower, the new building at the site of the World Trade Center. We took a few moments to visit the memorial pools, reflect on the horrible events that occurred, and the heroic efforts of all of the police and fire fighters named around the memorials. I was not sure how I would feel, but visiting this spot, that was ground zero for such a world changing event, gave me goosebumps. There was a sense of solemn reflection of all the visitors as they quietly considered the impact that day had on their own lives and of those impacted directly. We moved on and back to the subway to head to the Hudson River Park. A quick stop for a refreshment, we headed from the train to towards the water. We quickly realized, the mood on the street was different than the normal constant movement. Things seemed to be paused briefly for something unseen that was happening. Noticing this, we quickly asked a passerby what was going on. We were told there was a filming of a new Mutant Ninja Turtles taking place right here on the street. We waited patiently with the others in area and watched as they filmed a quick scene for the movie. it consisted of a few police cars quickly racing down the road and around a corner. Satisfied we were not missing anything overly exciting, we now raced to the waterfront to make the men's finals. We were now close to the start time and still did not really know exactly where it was. Being naive to this city, and accustomed to sandy banks near our local bodies of water, I was looking for the beach. After all, this was a beach volleyball tournament. We ended up having to run down the sidewalk about a mile to a pier where they had dumped a bunch of sand and set up a beach volleyball court and stadium. We made it just in time to see the beginning of the first match. It was great to see the players I had seen a couple weeks prior in Florida, up here playing in the city. The sun was out, and, while there were heat advisories and heat stroke warnings, we were comfortable with the absence of extreme humidity we are accustomed too. Following the final game, we were back to Times Square to the hotel where they were holding our bags. We had arraigned to stay at our good friend, and Alex's Godmother, Chris's childhood home with her mom for the next two nights in Staten Island. We gathered our stuff and headed our for our train, boat, train rides to the Island. About an hour and half later we were picked up by Chris's sister Maryann and greeted at the house by the family. Chris's cousin Christina had just arrived from Germany, so we were treated to some good Italian meatballs. Oh Yum!! We felt very welcome and enjoyed our visit with the family. Looking forward to another day exploring the city we retired for the night.

Advertisement



29th July 2015

I am very happy that you and Alex were able to visit the Statue of Liberty and see Ellis Island where your Great Grandparents came from Sicily by boat. I had always thought that they went into the Port of New Orleans but that was incorrect
as evidenced by the Manifest that I located a few years ago. I am also happy that you were able to visit Ground Zero. As you will recall I was there during all of the digging and met most of the fire fighters putting in the long hours to attempt to find their comrades. The Fire Fighters were staying in my Hotel across from Battery Park on the NJ side. It sounds like you had a vacation and a nice historical adventure. Thank you for sharing your vacation.Love to you both, Mom/Nana
29th July 2015

All your blogs were great to read...living vicariously with your travels was the best. Knowing NYC pretty well I was impressed with how well you two got around. Quite a pair of world travelers for sure, You make a very effective father/son
team..that is very special and warms this ol dog's heart!
29th July 2015

I laughed so much at the thought of you two racing that poor family that didn't realize they were involved the race... LOL I can picture it all clearly with you awesome writing skills, Steve Stover. Thanks for sharing you experience!
29th July 2015

I agree with all of the above comments. Your writing is superb. Your sharing of your vacation makes it an enjoyable experience for all of us.
30th July 2015

Your trip sounds amazing and the details make us extremely jealous that we are at home working and missing all of the fun. I'm glad you two had a blast and shared it with us!

Tot: 0.149s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0293s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb