New York, New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
March 6th 2015
Published: March 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Hey Everyone, We hope that this blog finds you all in good health and happy.
Here we are in New York City and it's true what you see on the television about the weather here. It's the worst Winter they have had in NYC since 1934...it's snowed twice in the last 10 days and this morning was minus 8 degrees....so cold. However, the cold weather means that's it hasn't been packed with other tourists, so it's been quite pleasant touring without the huge crowds and we have picked up some bargains. We have enjoyed a few Broadway shows including "Cabaret" and "The Book of Mormon", been up the Empire State Building and visited the Natural History Museum, where "Night in the Museum" was set and filmed...it is so AWESOME, we could have spent days there, a definite highlight. We spent a day Downtown and went to the site where the Twin Towers once stood and visited the Memorial centre, it was so touching. To think that nearly 3000 people lost their lives and what impact it had on their families, friends and the world is incredible. We of course took a ferry to see the Statue of Liberty, a must for any first time visitor to New York, she is amazing to see. We also visited Central Park and took a rickshaw ride, it was awfully cold, I think our fingers and noses nearly froze off. We also saw a number of lakes in Central Park, that of course were frozen, which is quite mind boggling, the Hudson froze up too. Being in NYC has also been a steep learning curve on our Jaytripping adventures. Naively, we thought getting hold of a reasonably priced car would be easy...HUH! That was challenging, so any other travellers who wants a car for an extended period of time ( more than 3 months), get a mini lease through a company like Avis, it works out much cheaper. So with our car sorted after much consultation with a fellow Ozzie living in NYC and a New Yorker, we have a car and we are heading North tomorrow in search for the frozen Niagara Falls. SO our American road trip begins, the learning curve continues and our need for adventure is being satisfied.
Lots of love to you all



Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



7th March 2015

Love it!
Looks like you're having a great time! I'm very jealous of the weather you're experiencing ;). Have a great road trip. Take care and speak soon.
7th March 2015

All those famous sites - keep warm

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0278s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb