New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
September 4th 2009
Published: September 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a grand Voyoge over we walked past all the waiting Limousines.. No joke.. with our backpacks on to catch the local bus and F train into Manhattan. After a small miss hap which involved Jo getting stuck on the subway while I watched from the platform we manged to get to our Hotel. Hotel 31 not bad little place even if the man who showed us to our room didn't understand that we said UK, England, Britain etc and decided on Brazil.

After being pampered on the cruise we decided to see the other side of things and caught the bus to Harlem, not a bad place and lots life on the streets. After grabbing a hot dog in Central park we headed to the MET Gallery for 4 hours and still didn't scratch the surface.. place is huge, impressive and worth doing. After a full day we got some Pizza from Madison Gardens and flaked out.

The next day we decided to have a stroll around the city, post a few things back to NZ to lighten the traveling load as we could not come to terms with giving away all our clothes. We walked around most of the central city I think, surprisingly finding Central library closed, strolling around grand central station and eventually ending up in Time square... We new we were in Time Square as it was like a zoo but a great experience... We manged to get late tickets for Burn the Floor.. A fantastic, energetic show that we both thought was one of the best that we had ever seen.. Definitely put on your list is you like dance and music

Our final day in NY so we headed of early to the south of the New York and ferried over to Liberty island, nice to see in the day as we had sailed past during the early morning on the cruise. Impressive views back over the city and good tour guide talking about the history of New York and the statue of liberty, a lot of people go over to the island so definitely worth doing early in the day.

After getting back on land we walked to the Twin tower site and surreal being there, knowing what was once there and what had happened and seeing the new construction work that is going on, also a very good memorial about the September 11th and role the local church played for helpers and workers.

Strolled over some of the Brooklyn Bridge and though nice to be in the city we were both realizing why Wellington is such a great place with so many people in New York, so much traffic and we haven't even said about how un-helpful the majority of people were.. City folk Ay!

Walked through the Italian area which is squeezed up against the Chinese quarter...walked and walked past some funky downtown areas and weirdly a man with a cat on his head with a leash.. The cat looked as worried as the description sounds.

After a long day and lots of site seeing we headed back to the hotel to sort out our early morning departure for Costa Rica...






Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0763s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb