Statue of Liberty, 9/11 and Chinatown


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
June 4th 2017
Published: June 4th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We all slept well again and we woke up with a little more pep in our step. We started the day off with a timed ticket to the Statue of Liberty so we had to hit the ground running.

Step one was finding the right Subway to take to Battery Park. I have a Subway map that really helps out but in some cases it was hard to figure out exactly where you were on the map. The good news is that our apartment was right around a bunch of Subway stops so getting the right one was pretty convenient.

Riding the subway is always fun for us. This one was packed so we had to stand most of the way. No big deal. I think it was about a 15 minute ride from Times Square to Battery Park. The ride was so quick because the Subway train we go on was an Express which means that it bypasses a few of the stops.



Statue of Liberty

For this tour I did not use the New York City Pass. I booked the Statue of Liberty Pedestal Tour through the State website. I wanted the Crown Tour but those sell out about six months in advance.

This pass was great. We took what I call the 'fast pass' lane through the first security checkpoint and hopped right on the cruise ship that takes you to Liberty Island.

We headed to the third floor so that we could get a good view of Lady Liberty as we approached but the top level was so packed that we decided to go back to the second floor. There was a spot on the port side against the rail that was big enough for all eight of us.

We start the trip to Liberty island. Man, that ship can move! As we are approaching Liberty Island the boat started to turn our side towards the island so we have a perfect view of Lady Liberty. How lucky are we!

As we get closer to the island you can tell everyone is on the same side of the boat because the boat kind of starts tilting to one side.

We get off the ship and follow the signs to the Pedestal check in. We are not allowed to take bags so we have to rent a locker for $2. That's kind of annoying but we had to do it. The cool thing about the lockers is that instead of a key it used a finger print.

We then headed through the second security checkpoint and up to the Pedestal.

I would have to say what I liked most about this ticket is how it limits the number of people. The ticket was only $18 which isn't much more than the regular priced ticket.

We walked around the highest part of the Pedestal and then moved to the lower levels. It was fun because we really had the place to ourselves.

There is a cafeteria there and restrooms so you can spend as much time as you wanted to on the island.

We chose not to go to Ellis Island. We had a lot more ground to cover for the day and I know that we could have spent a couple more hours there.



Glass Carousel and Lunch

While researching our trip I came across the Glass Carousel (http://www.seaglasscarousel.nyc) in Battery Park. Since I knew we would be waking through Battery Park I put this on our list.

This Carousel is very unique. The chairs look like fish that are made out of blown glass. They move up and down and in a circular pattern.

It is really a beautiful sight to see and it was a fun break for the kids.

After the Carousel walked through Bowling Green Park the the Charging Bull statue. With all the controversy about the bull and the girl there were a million people trying to take pictures around it. We shoved our way through and got a quick pic and then moved along.

I wasn't doing really well with my paper map and I think my phone was lagging so I walked everyone around in a circle for about 15 minutes.

By this time of the day our feet were hurting, we needed something to eat and a little bit of down time.

We found a place to get lunch that was across the street from a park. We recharged a little bit and then headed to the 9/11 Memorial.

Well, I walked us around in a circle again but we happened upon a Tiffany's store next to the New York Stock Exchange. Cheryl popped in to exchange Brooke's ring for a bigger size and we all took advantage of the bathroom. Thanks Cheryl!



9/11 Memorial

I think everyone remembers where they were when the Twin Towers were attacked on September 11, 2001.

I was working at ACS in Tallahassee and my sister called me and told me that the first tower had been hit. Someone in the office turned on a tv in the conference room and we started watching the news coverage. While we were watching this lady walked by and told us to turn off the television because we were all supposed to be working. Uh, what?
I think I when home early that day.
The days after that you would turn on the tv and there would be coverage about it. Just heart wrenching.
Jeff and I got married 11 days after the 9/11 attacks. When we went on our cruise the ship was at a little more than half capacity because people didn't want to fly.

As we walked up to the reflection pools I did put away my camera. I think Cheryl described it best. She said it was like attending a large funeral. It really was. The whole place was quiet and somber.

As we stood and looked at the names there was a gentleman next to me pointing to names and taking to an older lady about each of the names he pointed out. He was telling the floors each one of the people as he pointed to them.

As we were walking to get our tickets Carrah noticed a yellow daisy that was placed by one of their names.

We walked to get our tickets, go through another security checkpoint
and then enter the museum via an escalator that takes you underground.

As you enter the museum it gets dark and quiet. You can hear a few mumbles from the visitors but mostly you hear the audio that is playing.

The museum will really take your breathe away and bring a tear to your eyes.

You see images of people watching the horror of the day, flyers that people posted looking for loved ones, bent metal and a fire truck that responded to the scene.

You can also go into two different rooms that have pictures of each of the 2,000+ people that were killed in the attacks. As you walk in the room you can hear the reading of each of the names. It is just heartbreaking. I walked past one lady that was pointing to a name and she said, 'he didn't even work in that building. He wasn't supposed to be there.' I watched her and a friend talk and couldn't imagine the questions they had or the feelings they felt.

The lives lost, the families and friends I impacted just such a senseless tragedy. Somewhere in all those emotions you do get a little mad. I just do not understand why. I do not think anyone does but it makes me want to learn more.

There is a movie about the rebuilding but we didn't watch it.

We exited the museum each a little changed.

I am very glad we took the time to pay tribute to the innocent people that lost their lives that day.



Chinatown

We took the subway one stop up Chinatown. The person who gave us directions said, 'You will know you are in Chinatown.' Oh, he was not lying!!

As soon as we came out of the subway we were immediately asked if we wanted purses, earrings and everything else that could be counterfeit.

Nicole wanted Ray Bans so Cheryl asked the guy if he had any. The next thing you know we are quickly following the guy down the street and around the corner. He takes us to the street that is lined with black trash bags. Inside those bags are any kind of counterfeit purse that your little heart desires.

Cheryl agrees on a price, I buy a pair too and we head back down Canal Street.

Every inch we walk we have someone else offering us a purse or earrings or necklaces or watches. It is overwhelming and exhausting!

We dip into a shop selling souvenirs. We bought some shirts and bags and we then all agree that it's time to leave the area. We might have been there 15 minutes but it felt like 14 minutes too long.



Roaming around

We attempt to find the right subway back to our apartment but instead we end up in Tribeca. We found a little park with benches and we google the area to find a restaurant of some kind. It's about that time to get a glass of wine and a little snack.

We found a restaurant called AOA that was right by where we were. We walk to the place, we are immediately seated and we order some wine, some beer and some appetizers.

We let our feet relax and our phones charge.

After our snack break we head back to the apartment. It's a little chilly so we grab jackets and head back out for our last adventure.

Since we had the New York City Pass there was an offer for 1 free game of bowling at a bowling ally Times Square.

The bowling alley was really cool. There were lanes in each of the 5 floors and each floor was sectioned into their own little rooms. It was the perfect place for us to cut up and play a semi-friendly game of bowling.

After the game was over we headed out back to Times Square. We roamed around and then found a table to sit at. Times Square was super busy. The busiest if seen since we got there.

We did a little more souvenir shopping and then headed back to the apartment for the night.

Cheryl, Carrah, Brooke and Nicole head back to Tallahassee and head to Ithaca, New York for a week.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb