A Bite of the Big Apple


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
September 18th 2006
Published: September 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

New York to Toronto


Day 71.....

What better to do in a city, in the pouring rain, than meet your friends in a bar and catch up over a few drinks? Luckily for us, Claire & Simon were in town, so we did just that! We had a lovely meal in Greenwich Village, washed down with a few too many Martini's, before embracing the 'must do' yellow-cab experience to Times Square. As the hangovers kicked in, Claire & Simon continued their holiday into New England, leaving us behind in NY to fend for ourselves.

As this was our second time in NYC we didn't visit all of the usual places, such as the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and Ground Zero. But in order to reaquaint ourselves with the city and bite as much of the Big Apple as possible, we jumped on a bus tour which took us all over Manhattan and Brooklyn. We made our way through the various neighbourhoods of the city and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge for great views of the Manhattan skyline. We also visited the infamous and extremely ornate Grand Central Station, stopped for a brief spate of sunshine in Central Park, and embarked on a night tour to bask in the city lights. We even squeezed in a night at Webster Hall to see Zero 7 for the final gig of their US tour.

After our stint in NYC, we endured a ten hour train journey (with a little help from Krispy Kreme and their secret donut recipe) to Niagara Falls, Canada. As we arrived late in the day, we were greeted by the neon lights of the main street - more 'Blackpool' than 'Vegas', but all good fun. The following day we boarded the 'Maid of the Mist' boat tour for a close up view of the Falls and got absolutely drenched - yes, despite the attractive smurf-like poncho's that everyone was sporting!

We are looking forward to picking up our next hire car and heading into New England to see the colours of 'Fall'!

Hope you are all well! x







Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



29th September 2006

What's new pussycats??
Just been catching up with your latest blog (from NYC). Others may be too tired (or too busy) to log any comments, but you won't catch me out that way! Had to get my magnifying glass out to appreciate the pictures but understand you were trying to cram a lot in (and time is a constraint). Thought Angela looked very fetching in blue see-through!!By now you should be nearing Acadia NP and Bar Harbour. Hope the weather is good so you see it at its best. Understand from Brenda that New England was at least partly just shades of grey. All AOK here.Have fun and look after each other.Love

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb