Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 33


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 1st 2014
Published: July 2nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Up early again for our trip back to NYC. Out the front and no car - valet asks if we had rung down and I explained that we had organised with the desk last night to have it here at 0830. Apologies and off they go to get cars. They park them across the road at the other Marriott hotel. Finally get car at 0850, instructions on how to get across the river and gone.

This time we get into a queue that looks small - wrong - the car 2 in front seems to be taking forever to get through. Then the customs dude gets out of his box and points the car to the car park and tells the driver to go inside - hmmmmm. Finally our turn and pull up at the window, say good morning and get greeted with a gruff "nationality". Answer nicely and then "sunglasses off". This dude is in no happy mood. Few more questions about how long we have been in Canada, how long in USA and when we will be going home to Australia. Finally ok to go and happy to be away from him.

Find our way back to the airport without a hassle and drop car off. Up to the departure level, check in and then I to the next queue for TSA checks, etc. no dramS today with security or bags. Get something to eat and drink and go to the gate. On the plane and on our way back to NYC. Land at La Guardia again and try to call the representative for our next accommodation. She answers and say as that she thought severe due in tomorrow - NO. Calls back and says today is her day off and I should ring another person - texts his number - starting to get a bit concerned. Call the next person, message bank - leave message - maybe a little more concerned now.....

Go out of the airport and meet our driver - no problems with them. Into the car and more phone calls, try the owner and message bank. Send SMS to all concerned and finally get a call from the dude who is meant to be looking after me now. Gives me details of where to meet (outside a restaurant). Get message from owner apologising. A bit more relaxed, but still a concern or two.

Get to the hotel to pick up our bags. Greeted by name and ask if we are back, unfortunately not, but bags come out quickly and into the car - driver has Sadi he has no problems taking us to our designated meeting place. Thank the staff again, offered water or toilet if required, no thanks. Around town to our new place. Out of the car, ask if we have to pay more, he says what they don't know won't hurt them so we tip him a little bit more.

On the footpath with cases wondering who, when, etc. when a voice calls out "Steve". Interesting Asian dude coming towards us with a coffee in one hand and a shoulder bag on as well. Walks us into the apartment building behind the restaurant and up the lifts. Doorman looks a little strangely at us but our man just walks on in so we follow. Up to the 21st level and into an apartment. Wow, floor to ceiling windows in the corner of the lounge room with stunning views to the downtown area. Empire State Building is in clear view as are all the other we have been looking at before. Did i mention that we had to take our shoes off before we walked in the door.........

Walks us around the apartment - looking good. Then he takes us up to the roof top area. Wow. Views across the river (uninterrupted) out one side, the. Similar views to what we have in the room on the other side. Nice. Gym that we need a special key for, laundry at the end of our hall and a special key that you can load with credit of the washing and a guest lounge on the roof top level. BTW, if questioned by the doorman, we are friends of the owner - maybe a little bit dodgy renting the apartment out but hey, who cares...

Get all the work done about what, where and what to do on checkout and we are on our own. Decide to go to MOMA for a look. This was on our NY pass! but we missed that. Find the place and I think why not try anyway. No probs, in we go saving $50. Interesting displays of art. Finally get kicked out at 1730. A bit hot and in need of a seat after standing looking at paintings.

Go across the road to an Irish pub (O'Connels). Greeted at the door by an Irishman (funny that). Tells us it is a bit busy with the soccer but come in and enjoy - realise that the USA are playing Belgium today so people everywhere - no seats so out we go. Look in a few more bars, no seats until we get to the Hilton. Can see some seats so in and sure enough, find some seats. Up to the bar, 2 Budweiser and sit down. Nice cold beer and the game is nearly finished with a nil all score line. Extra time and Belgium get a goal. The room goes very quiet. Then another and people start walking out.

Second half of extra time and the USA get one back - pandemonium. They are back. Several close calls later, the final whistle and USA lose 1 - 2. Quiet again and the bar empties very quickly.

Off to get something to eat. Passed a few Asian restaurants on the way up so walk back the same way. There is a Vietnamese one that looks ok. In we go, sit near the air conditioner and order our food. Not bad, but as Chris says, makes you appreciate Tien Dat even more.

Back to the apartment, via the local grocery shop. Get some stuff for breakfast, meet some of the locals and then notice the sun set - very red. Go up to the roof to get some shots. Quite a few people up here having food, drinks or just sitting. Nice spot.

Do a Skype session with Jessica and Charlie which is good Then off to bed looking out our. End room window at the Empire State with all it's colours on show. Not too shabby.......

Advertisement



Tot: 0.397s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb