New York City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
October 31st 2012
Published: October 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

In the 1920's, John Fitzgeral descibed New York City as the "Big Apple". If there is indeed a centre of the world as far of civilisation goes, NYC is it. It is the only place in the world that no matter your age, interests or culture, there is something to entertain you, endulge you and something you can relate to. It is, without a single doubt, the evidence of the power of human civilisation.

The city doesnt need any introduction and is as famous and impressive as its rumours. The only thing not explained well to those who havent been there is its size. It only takes a moment in a high rise to understand how you can be completely engulfed by "the concrete jungle". Its a culture, a street culture. Loud noises, violent road rage and hot dog stands are a part of reality for there people, when to us its Hollywood. The bustling and bulging population, paying millions to live in a shoe box is a prime time example of NYC lifestyle. People dont go there to settle down, but redefine and push for something that they cant find anywhere else. It does smell and sirens never sleep either, but if you have any sort of spark in you, you can deal with it.

When writing the list of what I needed to see, I needed to turn over the page. Its a city you cannot complete in a week, nor a month. I believe its something you have to see thoroughly. New York City isnt like any other city. Theres Harlem, The Bronx, Downtown, Financial District, Genwich Village, Little Italy, Chinatown, Queens,Soho, Chelsea etc etc etc. Each of those fantastic places have their own unique scenes and attractions. For example, by walking driving through Greenwich Village I saw 11 attractive cafe's, read about 6 different top class world famous resaurants, saw 3 quality sounding musicians playing in various bars and recognised 2 streets from "Sex and the City" (dont ask how I know). It is really a place of depth and variety, to understand it would be an adventure to say the least.

It is a city of sophistication and energy. The people are strong willed and positively fierce. Only a city like this could survive such adversity without hesitation. A place I hope to one day live, in a shoe box, eating only bread and dipping it probably in anything more of a liquid form that bread. I can get used to the smells, the noises and the crowds. If people wish to make it and prove themselves as an individual then NYC is the most challenging place to do so.

My Favourite places;

1. Times Square- My idea of the core of the universe. My first encounter was at 1.30am on a Wednesday night. Still struggled to stop anywhere to take photos amongst the river of people. Most definantly the most impressive parts, think fireworks on New Years Eve but 24/7.

2. Ground Zero- We all remember 9/11 and the eerie memorial of the WTC is the most beautiful and well constructed parts of the city. Waterfalls mark where the towers fell and stories surround the centre. The names of all the victims engraved around the centrepieces, a very eye opening scene.

3. Brooklyn- The groovy natured part of New York, just across the other side of the Hudson. It is the classic mixture of the city and the suburbs. Terrace stairs and vibrant corner stores remain the key as the government has maintained the original community feel from the 1950s. If its good enough for Jay Z, then I can compramise.

4. Central Park- The easiest way to survice the hustle and bustle. Central Park is almost a city within the city. The park is magnificant with Ice Rinks, Stage Performers, Open Fields, Falling leaves in Autumn and places to read. Unbelivably it is a way of isolation in a city of millions.

5. Empire State Building- The biggest identifier and for god sake even King Kong found it so interesting he had to climb it. And hes a fucking monkey.

It may sound strange but it is the only exception of urban heaven. You can barely sleep its so loud, Smells horrible when you walk down the street, You get yelled at by men in yellow cars and it does cost a fortune to live. Yep spot on. Heaven

The Big Apple

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb