Yet more museums & other adventures


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 27th 2012
Published: July 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This time it was the Cloisters which is a branch of the Met but in a completely different venue; devoted to the art of medieval Europe, located in Fort Tryon Park in Northern Manhattan and overlooking the Hudson River.

The Cloisters has approximately 5,000 medieval works of art, every one original and housed in a building resembling architectural elements of several European medieval abbeys. The Cloisters was created through an endowment grant from John D Rockafeller Jr who also donated the majority of the medieval art works. He also bought several hundred acres in New Jersey, on the other side of the Hudson River, to preserve the view from the museum. Quite some gift and well worth visiting.

We went on a guided garden tour with a very knowledgeable guide who also spoke about some of the tapestries related to gardens. The gardens are planted with only those plants which grew in medieval times.

Following our visit to The Cloisters we made yet one more trip to the Met, this time to look at the Islamic art section.

Thursday evening Kev, Kerrii, Seb & I went out for dinner together getting soaked before we arrived at the restaurant since there was yet another electrical storm and downpour. Still we enjoyed ourselves despite that.

We took Grace & Rupert to their ballet classes the following morning. Having attended classes with them on our first week here we wer able to see how much they'd both improved since then.

Then Kev & I headed downtown; Kev to get some British currency and me for another visit to MOMA.

Kerrii & I attended the New York City Centre - a beautiful theatre built in 1943 and refurbished last year at a cost of $56 million - to see the Sydney Theatre Company's performance of "Uncle Vanya" starring Cate Blanchett, Richard Roxborough, John Bell, Hugo Weaving, Jackie Weaver and the other Australian cast members who performed it in Sydney. While I saw it in Sydney last year I thought it would be nice to see it in NYC where it was very well received. When we arrived at W55th to see the show it was pandemonium; the line of people queueing up to collect and buy tickets stretched right along the block. Luckily we had our tickets having booked on the internet and printed them off ourselves! After the show Kerrii & I wandered along enjoying the city at night.

Sadly our stay in NYC is almost over.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Kerrii's & the Louis Vutton ladyKerrii's & the Louis Vutton lady
Kerrii's & the Louis Vutton lady

After the theatre we wandered back to the subway


Tot: 0.246s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0937s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb