Central Park & Empire State Building


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
April 15th 2011
Published: April 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today was another beautiful but windy day so we decided to do day two of sightseeing. A few blocks away from our hotel was the United Nations which is where Helen Clark now works. We went there and had a look and saw all the countries' flags. Then we went shopping up 5th avenue which had quite a few good shops.

After shopping we went to Central Park and had lunch there. Central Park is huge but we only saw a little part of it. There where alot of school groups there running around the tracks or playing games. Central Park had some roads going though it which I didn't expect. But we walked along that road and back up through Central Park which led to Strawberry Fields. Strawberry Fields is a place to tribute and pay your respects to John Lennon and The Bettles. John Lennon got killed outside his hotel across from Central Park which is why it is in Central Park.

After learning all about John Lennon we went to Top of the Rock. Top of the Rock is at the top of the Rockefeller Center. We went up 87 floors to see all of Manhattan. It was cold at the top but it was worth it.

After tea once it had become dark we went to the Empire State Building to see another view of Manhattan. We got to the 80th floor and where surprised we hadn't come across any queues yet. But as we turned the corner there was a huge queue waiting to go up the last 6 floors. We ended up having to take the stairs but as we got to the top we found at the cause to the queues. There was a man lying just outside the lifts who had just had a heartattack and the amblance people where giving him CPR. When we got outside it was freezing! We quickly took some photos then went back inside to listen to the audio guide that told us about Manhattan.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0263s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb