update


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
January 12th 2011
Published: January 12th 2011
Edit Blog Post

4th Jan - Still in Southampton. Met up with La Famille Vance - was good seeing them and had a good night out as usual.



5th Jan - Ended up going with a hangover to the hairdressers the following day - hard to believe. Left Scott to juggle with all the bags (all eleven of them as Scott has just pointed out.) 6 Ships going out of Southampton so bags crammed the lobby of the hotel. Arrived at the port in the afternoon … soooooo excited. Queues miles long of very interesting people waiting to board - problems with computers apparently but wasn't really an issue as it was so interesting - never seen so many blazers nor wheelchairs!!
Boarded the ship, found our room and then the luggage started arriving.


By the time we managed to squash it all in we couldn't move around. Staff very kindly (note from Scott: this "kind action" came after the Steward was "persuaded" by Su that his life would be much easier if he did what she requested. Anyway, Ricardo took away some empty suitcases and some luggage for the warmer climates with a smile, altho we still need to get them back before New York)). Before we had finished unpacking there was a drill carried out and we knew it was freezing outside so off we went in coats, scarves, gloves and life jackets - then sat in a very warm theatre to listen to what we had to do if we hit an iceberg or were torpedoed …. and melted. Shortly after that we finished unpacking and went for a look around - not quite sure where anything is. The ship then set off leaving Southampton in tandem with her sister ship the Queen Elizabeth who is also sailing to New York. There were lots of fireworks as they left the port.

Then into dinner to meet our table of 6 other guests …. it was scheduled for 8.45 - we arrived 8.55 and being very British they were already halfway through their meals. Our table mates are an unusual bunch and in a way it's fab cos Scott and I feel like the young ones, and might I even say the slim ones - great stuff! One woman is like a character of Victoria Woods who instructs everyone on what and what not they should do and continued to stare at me throughout the evening intermittently telling me how the quizzes were the thing to do for the next 8 days. Her husband couldn't get a word in, only occasionally, when she paused waiting for him to agree with her. Another couple - ginormous - and quite scary. Another couple sweet but incredibly elderly. Later we decided to seek out the company of more like minded souls so went off in search of the Nightclub. Started off quite slow but gradually got more and more entertaining. Music was brill but no-one danced until the very attractive lesbian girls took to the floor - certainly perked up a flagging Scott, especially when they invited me to dance along with them. Thankfully a few minutes later they encouraged Scott to join in too. (dancing still) A few other fun folk in there too. Also on board and in the Nightclub last night is Lembit Opik in the company of a girl who looks barely legal and a lady in a wheelchair - haven't yet figured out if its his mum or hers - think it might be his as he does most of the pushing.

January 6th - Started the day off in the gym - then stopped off for breakfast on the way back - so many yummy things its hard trying not to be too greedy. Then did a dance lesson just before lunch which was much fun - going to practice it tonight. Black and White ball tonight so first time to be dressed up to the nines Had a Hello type photoshoot by members of crew but think our own photos will suffice. The food is amazingly good and amazingly plentiful - note to self "stop eating it all". Went for a stroll round after dinner stopping off to people watch and entertainment then ended the evening in the nightclub which was busier tonight and a lot of fun. Think its mainly crew that spend time in here and therefore can get a bit raucous but makes it more enjoyable.

January 7th - Hangover prevented the gym visit!! Up late and went for a brisk walk around the deck - very very breezy and very cold. Went to a lecture by an author who has written about the survivors of the Titanic - really really good speaker. Lunched in the pub then Scott went off to his photoshop lesson and I went to the cinema but thought I had better leave when my head bounced off the man next to me's shoulder. Hangover, food and swaying of the boat just put me to sleep. Another ball tonight - Ascot themed - several hats were worn but none by us. The cocktails are to die for. Unfortunately the dress I wanted to wear I couldn't get the zip up but I am desperately hoping its a faulty zip and not that I have already grown out of it!!!! After dinner went to a show - Scott's turn to fall asleep in theatre. Gave the nightclub a miss tonight.

January 8th - Just more of the same really. Went to see Lembit Opik (still not sure if this is the right way round of his name) give a talk. Very odd chap and I found his lecture quite dull although think I'm being picky as Scott didn't think it was too bad. I did find out though that the woman in the wheelchair is his Mum and the very young blonde is indeed his partner. Right am going to go the gym now to work off some of this food!
The show tonight was by a guy called David Copperfield no, not the world famous magician but a comedian who was in a BBC series called Three of a kind in the 90s. Have to say he was really funny with a wide ranging act. Tears in the eyes stuff. After that the night club for a bit of boogie-ing. Clocks going backward by an hour again tonight. This is done progressively so that we absorb the 5 hour change by our arrival in NY.


January 9th - More of the same..breakfast, dance class, lunch,afternoon tea, an episode of Downton Abbey on DVD (nearly finished unfortunately) then get ready for dinner. It has been really very relaxing and there are many different things to do so time doesn't drag at all. Amazed at the number of times our fellow passengers have been on cruises. Almost everyone we talk to has been on a few and some have been on more than ten to fifteen. Where does the money come from? Anyway dinner is getting easier now as we are beginning to get to know one another better, but on the downside there are some cracks beginning to appear in some quarters, but it passes a very pleasant couple of hours before we go our separate ways. Scott and I still managing to keep going at the Gym to combat the food (and alcohol intake), but it's quite difficult as the sea swell is quite high and this affects the way you feel.

January 10th - Saw land today for the first time (Nova Scotia I think) ABBA night in the nightclub so as you would expect that was a must for us - and a lot of the other passengers. The busiest night so far.

January 11th - Heavy night last night - the sea I mean. Force 9 (Beaufors scale of course) with waves as high as 7.1 metres as described by our Captain. Resulted in one poor guy falling over backwards in the nightclub and hitting his head on a table. Fortunately he was ok but I'm not sure how he will be this morning. It continued like that throughout the night. It was a bit like being on a waltzer in bed, and not in a good way. So far no problems with seasickness thank god so hopefully if we have survived the Atlantic we should be ok?

January 12th - Just finished packing again and the sea is soooooo rough - but its done now and neither of us feel ill so that's good. Off into New York tomorrow. Ship has given us a discount card for Macy's so need to go save some money - that's if we can dock cos the storm is really really bid - force 10!!!

Gonna try and publish some photos but not sure if they will upload cos ships satellite connection is very very very slow and internet time costs a lot. If I cant do it will try doing it from Starbucks tomorrow.

Love to all





Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



12th January 2011

Hi there!
Sounds fab, photos are great, you look very glam! Think I'd be very intrigued with the lib dem guy and his female companions! Am a bit concerned about the frock zip, have you looked to see if there is fabric caught in it at the back? Hope it's not one of mine. Have a lovely time using your Macey's card and keep in touch.x
12th January 2011

Tits looking good...
..on piccy 9 - for an old bird anyway - well done - on the scaffolding at least. Great to hear you haven't felt sea sick. I recall one old soul with a zimmer frame asking me whether alan was "putting it on" the way he walked - he just lost all sense of balance and felt a bit deathly. But that's yer land lubbers for ya. Both lookin fine and dandy in yer finery - and wish we could see you in the nightclub. What sort of age range is it in there? Dya know - we NEVER went in as it was always dead as a doornail. Obviously not highlivers like my eldest sister and bro-in-law. Re dinner guests - isn't it just fab. Are all your fellow diners world cruisers, or do you get fresh ones when you get on the QM2? Wait for the Yanks to get on baord - and just spot the cosmetic work. I gave up even pretending to answer Alan sometimes cos I was so immersed - in fact one evening I didnt even notice my left nipple had make a breath through from one of my posh frocks til he stabbed me with a fork. Anyway I've been at the wine - no Sommelier here to pour it - but we're all good in Whittle - it's chilly, it hardly gets light, and it's pissing down. Make sure you save lots of money in NYC !!!! xxxxxxxxxxx
12th January 2011

Number 9 is stunning.
Hi, Sounds very interesting so far (how like the home life of our own dear queen) and I am admiring (once again), your stamina and zest for life. You both look tanned and relaxed. Su you look ab fab in your black dress and ivory jacket/shrug. Scott you look very handsome in your tux. Think of us as you discover New York. Wish we were there with you. Jenny and David xx
13th January 2011

Jealousy reigns OK
Apart from force 9/10. I would be seasick for sure. (As I was on a Pedallo on the Med). Lembit Opik ?? And when did Scott change from White jacket and black tie to Black Jacket and red tie. No wonder you have 11 bags. Keep up the news. Scott looks sober in all photos, except N° 11. Have a nice time !!!!!! :-D
13th January 2011

I didn't think of lending you some suitcases, but I see you managed very well!!!! You both look wonderful!!
13th January 2011

Re World Travels
Hi Scott and Su Well you sound as though you are well settled in, love the description of your fellow diners. As times goes on the cracks will show sit back and take it all in everyone will be talking about each other hehe. Hope you have a great time in New York and remember the discount in Macys' is not just for you!!!! make sure Scott gets a look in. All quiet here although Gerry and I off to Lisbon for 5 days end of January so looking forward to it. Can't wait for next blog love to both of you Elaine and Gerry xx
13th January 2011

Good trip so far
Have enbjoyed tuis Blog muchly, let's be having lots more xxxxxxxxxxx
14th January 2011

Bruce
Bruce would like to be included in your blog circulation if possible, on: bruce.jones@wanadoo.fr
18th January 2011
Photo 10

Looking fantastic !
Love the photo's, it sounds like you're having a blast !

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0238s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb