Las Vegas To New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
October 7th 2010
Published: October 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 7 October

R writes:
another early start in Las Vegas before our 5 hour flight to   New York. The shuffle and weighing of bags at the Bellagio paid off as our luggage was all within 2 pounds of each other. It was great to catch up with Robert and Alicia Campbell at the airport. you travel half way around the world and end up on the same flight as a team mate. I set about making a cool $300k on the departure lounge pokies, but it didn't eventuate, I was sure I would win. Anyway after a long boring flight, Teresa and I played Yahtzee and the rest of the girls shored their way through 4 and a half hours, we arrived in the Big Apple. we strained our necks like a real bunch of tourists to try and catch a glimpse of any distinguishable landmarks. We we are unsuccessful. Another super shuttle ride was to be embarked upon. A grumpy driver threatened to charge us because the woman at the desk didn't give our voucher back. I'm glad we took along copies of all our vouchers and gave him that one, his tip was accordingly reduced. WOW what an experience getting from JFK to our 50th Street Hotel. I'm thinking that the use of horns is a whole subject on it's own in the US. Even after being in New York for a few days there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the use of it. But I can say that it must work, we survived, and made it to within a block of the Affina 50. The driver dropped us off and said in his half African half American accent that "it's just over there" before leaving us in a cloud of black exhaust. 

The hotel was a little different to what I imagined after reading g the reviews and looking on the Internet. It was a little older and a very small bathroom, So small in fact i kept hitting my head on the opposite wall whilst on the loo.  And after starting to unpack, the street noise was very evident. We found out the 17th precint and New York FD was around the corner, there seemed to be alot of emergenices. But it was clean, in a fantastic position and the beds were comfy.

We had a little rest and then went for a walk. We all climbed into a hire car and went to 34th street, the home of the iconic Empire  State Building. Outsidebthere were guys trying to sell you tours and tickets to everything. As we entered a guy in a 40's inspired bellhop uniform greeted and welcomed us. We purchased a New York City Pass which gave us a ride to the 95th floor, we upgraded for $15 so we could go to then102nd. A change of elevators was required and in nom time we were at our first vantage point. The building is open till 2am and the city of New York under lights was amazing. Words and not even photos in my opinion could describe the views from this amazing structure, and to think it was built without the aids of computers and the modern techniques and materials of today. The viewing area was a fenced area outside, it was a little windy and cold, but the clear skies made for a perfect setting. Keara did ask me if there were any stars here. It was a very valid question as we had just stayed in three of the worldsbrightest cities. The view from then pinnacle gave 360 degree views of this huge sprawling city. We have been getting accustomed to late nights and today was no exception.  

Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.4kb