New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
March 18th 2010
Published: March 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Chrysler Building Chrysler Building Chrysler Building

3rd Tallest building in New York City
I got the chance to go to the concrete jungle of New York City, USA. After the 13:30h flight we arrived there at 4 in die afternoon. To get to the hotel in Manhattan took forever because of the traffic.

I took a shower and hit the streets looking for Times Square. By the time I got there the sun was almost gone but with all the lights in Times Square you forget about the time of day. It was packed with people and yellow taxis rushing to go somewhere. In Times Square you will see three story m&m chocolate store, Planet Hollywood, abc’s studios, Levi’s, Billabong, Swatch, souvenir stores etc. In the square there were tables and chairs where people will just sit and look at life going by with their dogs or laptops using the free wifi that is available in die square.

After Times Square I went to the famous Empire State Building down 5th Avenue. The queue was murder but after about 1hour I made it to the top. People were there from all over the world to see the view of Manhattan at night with the Hudson and Harlem River outlining the island. By this time I was pasted after being awake for more than 24h so I headed straight for my bed.
The next morning the Statue of Liberty was first on my list. I jumped on the subway form the famous Grand Central Station and quickly found the never ending queue due to the new security searches since 9/11. After queuing for an hour I was on the ferry and the statue got bigger and bigger as the ferry got nearer. One cannot stop looking at the statue as it is truly the sign that you are in New York. One can see the Manhattan sky line from there and you can see the whole where the World Trade Centre used to be.
Second on my list was Ground Zero, 2 subway stops away. Well today it is not quite ground zero anymore. It was one big construction site for the new Memorial Plaza that is being built there.

The next famous building was the Flatiron Building at Madison Square Park. When you turn around after looking at the Flatiron Building the Empire State Building was peeping at me but no more queue’s! My last stop was again Times Square after
Times SquareTimes SquareTimes Square

This is the famous square where 1000's of people gather to count down the New Year very year
which I headed back to the hotel in Lexington Ave to catch a nap before the flight.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Times Square Times Square
Times Square

Found Elmo in Times Square
Statue of Liberty Statue of Liberty
Statue of Liberty

The statue is made of copper (that's why the colour) and the flame is covered in gold leaf. It arrived from France in 300 pieces that as assembeled in the US. She has been stading there since 1886...
Flatiron Building Flatiron Building
Flatiron Building

Was one of the first sky scrapers completed in 1902
Empire State Building Empire State Building
Empire State Building

For more than 40 years it was the tallest building in the world until the World Trade Centre surpassed it


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb