Bang! We are off.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
January 18th 2010
Published: January 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Conando 9 secs
Surprisingly, we were in the air on that Midwest Airlines flight and you will be glad to know the glue stick worked on my passport! We (my boss and I) landed in New York's Laguardia with no issues except that we had 10 hours to kill. With that we headed to Newark via taxi to drop off our stuff. Maria can be persuasive so she talked them into holding our luggage so we could go into NY.

Maria is a power-tourist, going non-stop. We started by taking the train into Manhattan to see her uncle to drop off our carryon luggage. He happens to run a high-profile art restoration business close to 6th and 32nd and so he gave us the quick tour. He didn't have any Picasso's or Rembrandts but often does. It was neat to see.

By this time we were starving so we stopped at Uncle Tony's suggestion of a steakhouse across the street called Keen's. We later found out it is one of the oldest steakhouses in NY and very cool. Lots of character. It had hundreds, if not thousands of smoker's pipes on the ceiling, a classic bar, the whole deal. I had some awesome scallops, a good salad, and a bloody mary that was more like a sald.

From there we just went cruising, we walked uptown and happened across the JP Morgan corporate offices. Maria charged in and went straight to the executive meeting floor. The were prepping for a meeting for the big wigs the next day but it had a great (and free) skyline view.

Next was St. Patrick's, then off to Rockefellor Center after walking through the lobby of Maria's favorite hotel. I got the JP Morgan tour, she showed me the places she stayed and the bars they met at. Quite intense.

We dragged back to the airport, headed through security (the glue stick was still holding up) and met up with my colleage Tray at the gate.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Down with the chin...Down with the chin...
Down with the chin...

...up with the hair. This protest was to tell NBC that they didn't like their choice to remove Conando O'Brien and replace him with Leno.
SteakhouseSteakhouse
Steakhouse

Lucked on this awesome and authentic NY steakhouse.
Cab to NewarkCab to Newark
Cab to Newark

MM on the BB as usual.
BirdseyeBirdseye
Birdseye

Doesn't get more interesting than a cab's eye view of NY from a taxi.
Grand Central StationGrand Central Station
Grand Central Station

Simply amazing.
Teller's DeskTeller's Desk
Teller's Desk

Desk belonged to the first five generations of the Morgan family.


20th January 2010

Looks like you had a blast and made the most of your free time in NY! Neat pics, might I add! Thanks for sharing!!
21st January 2010

That is awesome that you got to see new york. That is a city I would like to visit. I know you didn't have much time there but it still seems cool. Good luck in India! I can't wait to get an update from there.
23rd January 2010

Really enjoying the pictures and appreciate the captions, for sure!

Tot: 0.197s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0936s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb