waiting


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
October 17th 2009
Published: October 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

tall ship in manhattantall ship in manhattantall ship in manhattan

one of the ships passing us
Hi everyone. As I mentioned our shaft repair went very well. The guys at Tarrytown Marina were great. We left there and headed for the 79th St. Boat Basin,where we picked up a mooring. Our plan is to leave here, and make an outside hop all the way to the Chesapeake, weather permitting of course.
One small glitch, we discovered an exhaust fitting was leaking; so we are once again living in the engine room, repairing. We are in fact glad we noticed this now, in place we can get supplies, are safely moored. Still it is annoying.
While sailing here one passes some extremely vertical basalt cliffs,with trees at the bottom and the very top. Across the river there was what appeared to be a very old stone wall, with modern apt buildings above and very old houses beside those. Quite a juxtaposition of architectural style!
We are only a couple of blocks from Broadway, and did a little exploring last evening, treating ourselves to a modest meal out. We found an interesting little place called Nicks. Very crowded little spot with a menu that could be called a small book. Lots of signage everywhere, such as,
manhattan sunsetmanhattan sunsetmanhattan sunset

view from the mooring
“this is not a library, or computer lab just a small store since 1964”; or no laptops just chat” and many more too numerous to remember or detail here. If you come in alone expect to have someone seated with you as it seems to be a very popular spot. The food was good, the atmosphere very intriguing, if you ever find yourself in the area it is worth checking out.
We have finished installing our weather cloths, hopefully this will add to our comfort in chilly winds, and later on privacy in warmer weather. That is our plan and hope in any case. Mark looks forward to sailing on the ocean, I confess to being a bit nervous. We wont leave without a weather window, and have checked out various places we could make a run in if need be.
We have been treated to some spectacular sunsets, behind the city skyline, as well as lovely views of various bridges at night. It seems odd to find a view of a bridge lovely, but once they are all lit up and the lights are reflecting on the water the bridge is transformed.
We are also waiting out strong northeast gales, before venturing out. We expect it to be quite lumpy here and are planning to have all our shore chores finished before the arrival on Thursday of the bad weather, which is projected to blow for a couple of days.
There is a second northeaster arriving lowering to 30 knots on Sunday, Monday the wind is projected to be 15 -20 and from a desirable direction, if this proves to be true, and the waves subside we will head out for the Chesapeake on a non stop run. Yesterday the off shore waves were just over 21 ft, glad to have not been out in that particular circumstance.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0686s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb