New York,New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
March 2nd 2006
Published: May 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

'The Big Apple','Capital of the World','A City that never sleeps','The Empire State' and 'Broadway Manhattan' are the depictions made in several movies,soaps and braggadoccio's of New Yorkers.If you believe that man is the greatest creator,come to New York.When me and my wife stepped out of the Penn station on the 33rd street,we could only find ourselves in an amazing world of sky scrapers,millions of people of different countries walking briskly and the bustling sounds of cars (and cops alike) wading through the streets of Manhattan.You are suddenly enclosed in a world that seems utopian and not American.If you keep looking up,you will surely tumble because the sky scrapers surround you,so tall that they look curved.

As you walk from 33rd to 37th street on 5th Av,you will notice a sign that reads 'The Empire State Building'.Look up and you will realise what you are walking below.A sheer tenacity and brilliance of human capabilities in steel and glass.This near 100 storied building was made in the 1930's and till date resembles a masterpiece in Modern Architecture.From it's 86th floor one can view New York city at every angle.The UN,Daimler Chrysler Building with it's cone top,Metlife,Verizon,New York Life,Chase Manhattan,Prudential,GM,GE,Time Warner,3M,Ernst and Young,Bank of America,Wall Street,Central Park,Brooklyn and George Washington Bridge,New Jersey,Newark Airport,Hudson and East River and the Statue of Liberty; are all visible on a clear day.It has a view till 30 miles.

As you step on 43rd street you come to Time Square.Listen carefully and you will hear a 100 languages at a time.This is where you will see at night a cluster of neon displays,high definition ads and massive videos being relayed on sky scrapers.If you have the time watch a movie on the Grand MGM theatre or visit Madam Thussauds.

On 55th street is the Rockefellar Foundation.Best times are Christmas and you will see why.Also visit the Avenue of Americas.The foundation is like a micro city with the best of malls.

On 58th street you will come to the Trump and Time Warner Foundation and famous Central Park.The park is massive and it is impossible to complete in a day.I estimate that it covers atleast 20-25 blocks.The park is circumferenced by two famous Museums,the Googgenheim and The Metropolitan Museum of Art.


Further up and I have not visited are the world famous Broadway Theatres.Friends,Everybody Loves Raymond are sitcoms that are evolved here.If you are lucky catch a late show for a 100 bucks.Artist from all over come here to perform.Also there are many ballet and opera houses in this part of NY.If you are rich,you can stay closeby in The Waldorf Astoria or the New York Sheraton.

If you want to head South Manhattan,take a metro to Battery Park to a ferry ride towards Statue of Liberty.Also I could suggest a 'Water Taxi' that will tour around the Hudson and take you around South Manhattan.You may also like to visit Wall Street and at the end of day sit on the decks of Battery Park and enjoy the Brooklyn Bridge overseeing the NY Skyline.

But if you really want to appreciate New York City,come to Hoboken on a clear night and see Manhattan Skyline across the Hudson or as I have seen,while landing at EWR Airport,NJ,the flight goes parallel to Manhattan at a very low altitude and you say wow! to it's zillion fireworks of twinkling lights and neon displays.Perhaps that picture of New York City would remain with me forever!





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb