The USA or just New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
May 23rd 2009
Published: May 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

22/05/09

After a little trepidation i arrived on the real beginning of my trip , the first bit of unknown New York and the states.
Arrived via LAN which I would highly recommend , they are prompt and very friendly with an almost limitless amount of programmes to watch on the short one hour hop from Toronto to New York.
Got off and quickly onto the bus into Manhattan but with a bank holiday weekend the traffic was worse than normal and unfortunately it took the best part of an hour and a half to get to the drop off for the walk to my hotel.
Arrived and finally saw Angela for the beginning of the trip together.
After a quick chat we went out for the obigatiory looking at the lights of NY which were fabulous but , soo many people and so many cars.
Stopped at a Thai restaurant and had some beer was not too bad but i am looking forward to not paying so much for it when i am in Thailand in six months.


23/05/09

Woke up at a resonable 8 o'clock finally realising that it is true what they say , NY does not sleep !!!!
Over the deafening sound of the aircon that thankfully worked , we could hear the fire department responding to many calls along with the ambulance and police.

Left the hotel , the Times Square West Hostel which is very clean and has free wifi but at about $ 150 per night not very budget , your choice , at 10 and just wondered around with no particular destination in mind.
Saw Grande Central station , so big it really is amazing and after watching the programe cities of the underworld , it was amazing to know that there is a bunker underneath that most dont know about.
Afterwards went to the Rokkerfeller center and decided not to do the roof terrace thing at $ 30 for 30 min.
Had a lovely meal at a buffet on 6th ave and 46th street very reasonable and good food at $ 10 for a beer and food.

Also went and saw the navy display which was great but the ques are so long you need to get there early or go on a weekday.

Beer Blog - Had two different beers today , the first Anchor Steam beer - I was quite thirsty so it took a long time for me to really notice the fact that although the beer is at first slightly sweet it does have a nutty bitter aftertaste that could become too much if you had more than one - it is brewed in san fransico so those of you traveling there could let me know if it tastes better there.
Second beer Rastafar Rye served at the Pony Bar on the corner of 10th ave and 45th st was perfect , i was also thrsty but after talking to Cliff behind the bar this was definately the one for me.
A lovely sweet rye flavour that is not too dissimilar to Leffe Brune from Belgium also a slightly dark beer .



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer
Anchor Steam Beer

Great with a bitter after taste
Rasta far Rye Rasta far Rye
Rasta far Rye

lovely ask for Cliff he will sort out the rest


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb