Christmas in the City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
December 21st 2008
Published: December 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


I've been in NYC in Christmas-time before. When I was a little girl my parents took my brother and me in to see the Christmas Show. I remember having a little velvet dress and velvet coat, getting all dressed up to go. It felt like a big deal. That's what CHristmas in the city always meant to me, always reminded me of.

My vision of Christmas in the city now isn't as sophisticated, but just as memorable, just as exciting. You don't have to see the nutcracker or the christmas show, or dress up all fancy. It's about bundling up so you're super warm because the windchill is at like 9 degrees. Drinking hot chocolate walking through central park. Walking through central park takes a lot because there is three inches of ice on all the side walks. It's going to Rockefeller Plaza and watching the ice skaters, knowing you can only get on there if you wait two hours in the freezing cold amidst hundreds of other hopeful skaters. It's perusing the hundreds of stands to see what artisans have created. To buy a scarf from a street vendor for the person you don't know what to get. Christmas in the city is about seeing the decorations on lamp posts, the fronts of fancy hotels hang their garland and decorations, the big christmas balls, and the windows of the stores decorated so warm and homey. It's standing in the street and closing your eyes, feeling the crisp cold turn your cheeks pink, hearing thousands around you talking about christmas dinner, and last minute shopping. it's walking slow through the crowds with the people who matter the most to you. That's Christmas in the City for me....





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



1st March 2009

New York Chrismas
I'm glad you have nice memories of New York at Christmas. It is something that should be done at least once. Hopefully, one day your little girls will be dressed up and see the Christmas Shows at Radio City Music Hall or catch the little dancers in the Nutcracker. Maybe their grandparents can take them :-) (We hope)

Tot: 0.202s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb