The Big Apple


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
April 27th 2008
Published: April 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=YgU7ViVpE38]
Times SquareTimes SquareTimes Square

Busy busy
New York, New York!

Had a 'real' American experience yesterday. Our 5 hour flight, which we figured would use up half of our day, ended up starting at 3:50 am, when we got out of bed to pack and check out of the MGM in Vegas.

From there, we got a bus shuttle to the airport, and were checked and thru security by 6am. - the flight was scheduled for 7:35.

Boarded 10 minutes late, then got told there was a mechanical issue with the baggage system, and our bags were going to take half an hour to get loaded. Eventually took off at 8:15, and got to NYC at about 3:30pm. Went to baggage, and after a 2 hour wait, found out that the bags were 'probably' still in Vegas. After a 1 hour wait to 'fill in a form', we got the bus to our hotel, arriving at about 7:30pm (13 hours after we woke up!)

Went for a walk, and had dinner at a chinese joint near Times Square.

Times Square - holy crap! So many signs, billboards etc and so much traffic - amazing.

Booked our 'packaged' Helicopter ride this morning,
Empire State BuildingEmpire State BuildingEmpire State Building

From 34th street
then went and got our 'hop on - hop off' bus tickets and venue passes. Got the double decker bus to the Empire State building, and went to the top - awesome views, but a little hazy.

Next we walked down to the Heliport and caught a ride up and down the Hudson along the West side of the city. Flew over the Statue of Liberty, and saw 'Ground Zero' from the air.

Went for a walk back to the hotel via a StarBucks for a coffee and cookie - watching the crowds go by and feeling like proper New Yorkers. Also stopped into Macy's, and looked at 9 of the 11 floors (!!) of department store (including about 3 floors of ladies shoes Janelle).

Finally, stopped off at a clothing shop, where I got a pair of Levi's for $40 bucks 😊 before heading back to the hotel - where our bags were waiting for us with the Bell man - Woo Hoo!!!!!

So, here we are, back at the room, having a rest before we head out to find some dinner - might hit Little Italy or Chinatown. Probably gonna do more on the
View to Chrysler buildingView to Chrysler buildingView to Chrysler building

With Central Park behind it?
Buses tomorrow, and try and get a 'Lottery' ticket for a Broadway Matinee show.

See ya'll later!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Escalators in Macy'sEscalators in Macy's
Escalators in Macy's

Apparently some of the worlds oldest - steps and all are made from wood!
ScottScott
Scott

Our helicopter pilot - felt much safer once we knew his name :)
Co pilot KezzaCo pilot Kezza
Co pilot Kezza

In the jump seat!
The big ladyThe big lady
The big lady

As she was referred to by the pilot when radioing in his location.
Smog CitySmog City
Smog City

Apparently visibilty today 'wasn't too bad' ??
All tuckered outAll tuckered out
All tuckered out

This tourist thing is bloody tiring! Having a 'nanna nap' pretty much every afternoon.


Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb