[R] New York - Part 2


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
November 23rd 2007
Published: November 29th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On Thanksgiving day we went to the Macy’s Thanksgiving day parade - along with the rest of the population of New York! We couldn’t have asked for better weather for the day which was unseasonally warm. The parade was over 3 hours long and filled with American celebrities, giant balloons, floats, and marching bands and put the New Zealand christmas parades to shame! After the parade we headed back to Bryant Park for some hot drinks, and watched the skating. Later in the day, we went to the Rockefeller centre, and watched the iceskaters under the famous Rockefeller christmas tree then went and watched a movie (The Darjeeling Line) in the evening.

The day after Thanksgiving, “Black Friday”, is famous for its sales and it didn’t disappoint. People were lining the streets as early as 1pm on Thursday waiting for the shops to open in the morning. Many shops opened at 4am or 6am with big discounts until noon, with some shops even opening at midnight! Needless to say we slept through the pre dawn madness, but even by late morning it was still pretty crazy - we even saw two 70 year old ladies pushing and swearing at each other over who was in front of who in the line! We managed to pick up a couple of bargains in the afternoon and spent the rest of the afternoon wandering back to our hotel soaking up the holiday atmosphere.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Thanksgiving day parade - Bowling PinsThanksgiving day parade - Bowling Pins
Thanksgiving day parade - Bowling Pins

Do they remind you of anything...?


29th November 2007

black friday
Oh, my God, I can't believe you actually were in a store for this psychotic weekend. You are braver - or crazier - than me, for sure. I see there are no lights on the tree yet - thanks for a little glimpse of home :)

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb