The BIG Apple


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 1st 2005
Published: August 5th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Radio CityRadio CityRadio City

A classic, Lindsay and Felic supermodel with the rockettes.
NEW YORK CITY
Ahhh, the Big Apple! What’s not to love?? The purpose…Food & Theater. Pretty simple really. Felicia, Lindsay and I caught the redeye out of Long Beach and we were off. The Waldorf Astoria was not so thrilled as we arrived before 6:00 a.m. and was even less than willing to actually check us into our room. Instead we wandered around town. Sadly, we decided NOT to go see Tom Cruise tape the Today Show because we figured it would be mayhem. Boy were we right! I think it would have been worth it though if I ‘d known Tom was gonna lose it, go off his meds and rip Matt Lauer a new one for being “glib”. Oh well.

After a morning of wandering, we napped in the lobby of the hotel (thinking it might inspire the front desk staffer to give us a room…it did not). Fortunately the lobby has big cushy couches, unfortunately Felicia got attacked during her nap and bitten by god only knows what kind of bug! Lindsay and I could not help but crack up at the massive swelling and welts on her face!! We took her to the pharmacy and get her doped up on the Benadryl and finally got into our room after noon.

With that behind us, we rested up for the evenings show GlenGary GlenRoss. It was excellent, staring Alan Alda, Liv Sheiber (Mmmmm) and even Tom Wopat (you know Dukes of Hazards…really).

We did the typical tourist stuff too. The traditional NYC shopping, the opening week of the new Matisse fabric exhibit and Chanel exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and of course, Ellis Island and the statue of Liberty. Can I just get a word in about the 2 hour boat trip to Ellis Island….I have No idea how my ancestors ever made is across the ocean packed in a boat??

Even better though was the next theater performance…Dirty Rotten Scoundrels—Yes like the movie—only so much funnier. Staring John Lithgow and Norbert Leo Butz, it was truly an entertaining show. Which was followed by the single best meal of my life—no joke. Jeff and Janet (my caterer friends) made the recommendation The Tasting Room (on first and first) it was OUTSTANDING! Small with only about 8 tables, run by a husband and wife team. The menu changes everyday based on the fresh organic foods that they get delivered. AMAZING—I cannot recommend it enough. We even tried to go back again before we left—but they are closed on Mondays.


The highlight of the entire trip however, was the rainstorm. It lasted about 1 ½ hours—which was approximately the length of time we stood on the street corner waiting for a cab. Lindsay was looking very ‘Mary Tyler Moore’ with her umbrella trying desperately to hail us a cab—but it just was not going to happen. Instead, she got nailed by the spray from the passing bus…leaving the three of us just cracking up on the side of the road. The big apple—got to love it!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb