Happy birthday Annie!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
April 7th 2007
Published: April 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So this was our final week in manhattan - on tuesday we get the train to montreal. We've started to feel really at home here and this week we've been experiencing lotsof nighlife and imagining we live in NY.

Day Fifteen - Oh dear.
I wrote the fringe roadshow we were helping out with down as today when it was actually yesterday. The kind folks at the public theater let us sit in the empty room for over an hour until we twigged. At least it wasnt one of the talks we're leading. We found a great bar on Macdougall st which had live rhythm and blues of really great quality - also there were people there.

Day Sixteen - Another relative of Sam's: Linda very kindly showed us round the MET gallery where she works and took us out for a lovely lunch. We've found the antidote to all the corn syrup in the food is really good salad! The MEt is overwhelming in its scale and range. I was really impressed by the Tiffany exhibition (I now aspire to Clare's ambition to have a tiffany lamp in every room) and the Barcelona exhibition. At the red bar again we met a barman who has been to every single place were going with his band! - we got another free drink out of it too.

Day Seventeen - A very relaxed day working on my children's play and doing lots of reading. I'll really miss the apartment to chill out in. Saw Pan's Labyrinth which I found really really sad and beautiful too.

Day eighteen - We went to Staten Island. The guidebooks lied its really not pretty - the ferry ride was the best bit. We very quickly missed manhattan. Found an indie club night that looked good in time out at botanica - it was lovely but there was no dancefloor - NY just doesnt dance!

Day Nineteen - its so COLD here - jealous of folks in London on Hampstead heath in t-shirts having a picnic!!!! however we did go to an incredible slam poetry night at the Nuyorican Poets Cafe in the East Village. It was a semi - final and the talent was amazingly high and impressive - in particular 'Soulful Jones' and the winner 'Rico'.

Day Twenty - happy birthday Annie! and happy25M MF! Saw an increible exhibition at the folk art museum by Martin Ramirez who was a mexican immigrant who for the last 30 years of his life only communicated with reeally beautiful line drawings.



Advertisement



7th April 2007

Museo El Barrio
Hi Cat! It's great to read your blog! If you can manage it you've got to check out the exhibition "The Disappeared/Los Desaparecidos" at El Museo del Barrio at 106th and Central Park West. It's one of my favorite museums. I read the review in the NY Times and wanted to weep because I can't go see it. Also, the best bagels in the world are at a place at 112th and Broadway, the name of which escapes me. Look for a neon sign that says 'Hot Bagels'... x x x
29th April 2007

Hey Erin! thanks for the tips! we had the best bagels imaginable in NY. i wanted to go to el barrio museum - but never made it. saw a great spanish exhibition at the guggenheim tho. how are you doing? catxx

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1006.8kb