Brazilian Street Festival and Central Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
September 5th 2004
Published: September 5th 2004
Edit Blog Post

Brazilian Street Festival - NYCBrazilian Street Festival - NYCBrazilian Street Festival - NYC

Lots of yellow soccer shirts!
Another breakfast of Utopia bagels. How do NY'ers ever go low-carb? ;-)

We are ready to hit the NYC Street Festivals. Take the LIRR to Penn Station. Come out to daylight and look for the 8th Street Fall Festival. Hmmm... no people. No street fair. Where did the festival go? Ask a cab driver... no clue! Find another poor soul like us who is also looking for the festival. Must have been cancelled?
(Upon further investigation, find out we are a month too early! Saturday October 2nd, 8th Avenue Autumn Fair,on 8th Avenue from 23rd - 34th Street)

BUT, we have a backup plan! The Brazilian Street Festival!

http://www.nycstreetfairs.com/sched.html

Sunday September 5th, 20th Annual Brazilian Day Festival, on Avenue of the Americas from 46th - 56th Street & on 46th St. from 5th - 7th Avenue

Lots of yellow soccer jerseys! And the food! Wow! I tried a traditional hotdog with the help of a nice man that explained to me that to make it right it needed corn, peas and potato sticks! The hot dogs were cooked in what looked like a chili/spaghetti sauce.

We meandered around for awhile and headed to Central Park. It really is an amazing escape from the buildings and concrete of the city. www.centralpark.org.

Some of the sites: Turtle pond, where there really are turtles! A bride having a photo shoot. A Rollerblading area, complete with music. Belvedere Castle.

We rode the Carousel (Ted called it a Merry-go-round, and his sister Mary corrected him!).

We also had fun playing hide and go seek among the trees by the playground. :-)

A cold beer at under an umbrella gave us the chance to people watch. Just an incredible array of personalities, nationalities, and ages. Just wonderful!

After 2 beers we were too tired to hike to Belvedere Castle, so we hired a Pedal Cab (who was not TOO excited about hauling us UP HILL the whole way!) But he was very nice about it and although he was huffing and puffing, managed to smile as we said goodbye!

Oops? Where is the castle? We found the Metropolitan Museum of Art, where we peeked in the glass windows at the Egyptian Temple!
www.metmuseum.org/

So, we wander back down the hill to the Turtle pond, where we find our way to Belvedere Castle.

As
My famous Brazillian Hot Dog!My famous Brazillian Hot Dog!My famous Brazillian Hot Dog!

corn, peas, and potato sticks like I was taught!
we wander out of the park, we head to the West side and find a nice Italian Restaurant.

Strolled past Lincoln Center on the way to Penn Station.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Bride in Central ParkBride in Central Park
Bride in Central Park

Isn't she lovely? :-)
Turtle Pond in Central ParkTurtle Pond in Central Park
Turtle Pond in Central Park

With Belvedere Castle in the horizon.
Dinner in the West EndDinner in the West End
Dinner in the West End

Nice al fresco dining on a beautiful evening.


17th September 2004

Great Adventure Journal
Thanks for sharing this with us ... Sounds like you had a great time !

Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb