Stop Asking New Yorkers


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
September 8th 2023
Published: September 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

Lately, I have read several travel articles that emphasize what NOT to do or ask in places we want to visit, like Paris, London, Chicago, Washington, DC, and New York. Since I am headed to NYC, here are a few excerpts from an article in Fodor's by Amber Snider. Whenever I travel outside the city or someone comes to visit, I’m confronted with the same series of questions about what living in New York is like. The typical “Is it safe?” or “Do you ride the subway?” kind of questions. Over the years, they’ve become so commonplace that it’s almost comical—as if we’re forced to accurately describe this cultural epicenter in a soundbite or defend our choice of living here. It’s an impossible task, and far greater minds have tried to capture the spirit of New York in literature, film, and art, but clearly, many folks still want to know a few things. They say to write what you know, and while I’m no spokesperson, here’s what you should probably know–and stop asking, please–about living in New York City.
Safety? A city is a city. Be prepared for the unusual and unexpected. Stay alert, ask for help if needed, and walk like you know where you’re going, and you’ll be fine. If someone is bothering you on the subway, for instance, change cars. This city is about movement, change, and spontaneity, so learn to roll with it. But help others, too, if they need it. New York is much kinder than you may think.
The subway? Of course, I take the subway. It’s a practical necessity, and on the rare occasion it arrives on time, it’s quicker than a cab. The subway system is an integral part of New York; the veins and arteries keep this urban collective flowing, without which I’m not sure how we’d fare. But speaking of fare, by the time you read this article, MTA prices may have increased yet again, so you’ve been warned.
Buy why? Because New York City is my home. For some, like me, it’s a love-hate relationship (read: sometimes toxic and sometimes achingly passionate), so questioning why we willingly stay here is a frequent experience. New York sometimes tricks you into believing this is the only place in the world to be, but where else is there to go? The whole world, you may say. Sure, but what better city is there in the world than New York? As the clichéd saying goes: “A bad day in New York is still better than a good day anywhere else.”
What is a bodega? A bodega is our living room and our neighborhood meeting spot. It’s where you go for coffee or a midnight snack, where the workers know you by name and have your deli order memorized. It’s where you catch up with neighbors, ask how their families are doing, and complain about the weather before running to catch the train. There’s normally a bodega cat, too. Essentially, it’s a small grocery store.
No, it’s not that bad. New York City is a cultural beacon and one of the most diverse places in the world. It’s a city that is brimming with potential and creative energy. There are problems just like any city, but to those who call it home, there really is no place on earth quite like it. No more questions, please.
My cousins live in NYC, Central Park West. But they make a great living, and can afford a huge apartment, Westchester CC, and private schools for the kids. Hardly typical, but not unusual. My take on New York City is quite simple. The energy of the city is unbearably strong, and I easily get caught up in the "neon lights of Broadway." Or as Frank said, "I want to be a part of it, New York, New York." So, I try to pace myself, with about two major activities a day, and leave the rest to chance. So, I am meeting dear friends from Hotlanta, going to Yankee Stadium, Billy Joel, the Oyster Bar at Grand Central, a Broadway play, more nice meals, and perhaps some shopping. I also hope to squeeze in a visit (writer's strike now) to the Jimmy Fallon Show.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0187s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb