Last day in the city


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
April 16th 2023
Published: April 18th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Our last full day in New York and we head into Manhattan to soak up the NYC vibe one last time. No real plans but just want to see the city again. Dave and Alex's house is our home away from home and we take a while to get moving. The overland train to Grand Central takes about 45 minutes and the Sunday off-peak timetable sees the morning trains going hourly.

We leave the house with 15 minutes til the 10.35 train. Google maps says it takes 18 minutes but Niamh assures us we'll make it in 10 minutes. She wasn't allowing for me taking an early left hand turn and sending us in exactly the wrong direction. We get over the blame game for missing the 10.35 and take the opportunity to check out Mamaroneck high street. One cafe is busy for Sunday brunch, but a sleepy Sunday morning has very few people out and about. There is a remarkable number of hairdressing salons and barbers in Mamaroneck - no idea why. We do a lap of the main street and pick up some Dunkin Donuts for "brunch" on the go.

The train ride in is smooth and comfortable. They even click ticket on the train and leave the clicked ticket in your seat headrest as they patrol the carriages between stations. It's cool to watch the suburbs morph into Harlem and Harlem morph into the Upper East Side. Back in the familiar territory of Grand Central station and we head down to Time Square ducking in and out of various shops for some last minute souvenirs. Deaks is offerd drugs "I know you smoke drugs man" and complimented on his fashion "I like your style man" says a big African American dude relaxing near Time Square.

Our wrong turn and later train makes the American Natural History Museum an impractical choice and we opt to instead check out Central Park one last time. On the way we sit down in the Premier Deli Cafe for some NY style sandwiches - Reubens, Chopped Beef, Chicken Hero and Grilled Cheese all washed down with old school milkshakes. I chat with an Aussie bloke from Yerronga at the counter. He's been travelling around the South doing a blues music tour. He orders a reuben to share with his partner. Share? Lightweight!

Central Park is pumping. So many more people - walking, cycling, running, picnicking, pickle balling and listening to live music. Spring has sprung and the vegetation and parks are alive with colour and activity. We just sit and soak it in. It truly is an oasis from the hustle and bustle. Locals and tourists mingle on the lawns and pathways. A brilliant park. We stroll a little further looking for a clock near the zoo. Not sure where it is exactly we head in a south easterly direction. Deaks attempts to record the groovy drum beat drifting across the park. We turn a corner and the clock strikes 4pm and sets of the brass monkeys ringing the bell and the other brass animals dance in a circle below. Impeccable accidental timing!

We speed-walk and weave our way back downtown to catch our train to Mamaroneck. Collecting a few last souviners on our way. Not likely to make the 5.05 we take our foot of the pedestrian pedal and wander towards Grand Central. We submit to ever present smell of freshly roasted cashews and peanuts. At $3 and $2 a pop I give the street vendor $6 but she hands back a $1. I still don't have the hang of this tipping business.

Standing in the main concourse of Grand Central, exactly where we stood first thing on Day 1 we feel somewhat like locals. Not inclined to gawk at the ceiling and take photos like the other tourists. This station was so intimidating on our first day in NYC and now it's commonplace.

Everyone but Jules falls asleep on the 5.35 to Mamaroneck and we take the slightly chilly walk back to Dave and Alex's. Dave is working in the yard again and we rally all the troops to just make it to Walter's before the 7.30 closing time. Walter's has been selling Hot Dogs in Mamaroneck since 1919 and it's fair to say they've nailed it! Josie the Great Dane tries to run off and Ollie attempts to tackle her and crashes to the ground. We spend $100 on hot dogs, fries and milkshakes and enjoy a chat in the outdoor eating area. I get to drive the Audi A5 which was a treat and much more confident to drive than the Jeep.

Dave and Alex are back to work tomorrow and we chat over a beer before an early night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.449s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0703s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb