A "Dog" Day 4th


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Bronx
July 3rd 2020
Published: July 3rd 2020
Edit Blog Post

Nothing stops the annual hot dog eating contest sponsored by Nathan's. Pandemic or not, starving children in Africa, nothing stops this annual event. Would you believe I was talking to my dentist about this? He loves this event! The annual eating of so many frankfurters with competitors who actually train ahead of the event held in New York’s Coney Island will go on during Independence Day despite the fact that the coronavirus pandemic is still happening. Joey Chestnut will defend his title on the men’s side after winning four straight titles (he was upset by Matt Stonie in 2015) and Miki Sudo will be there in the hopes of winning yet again — she hasn’t lost since 2013.This year's contest will be different. First, it will take place in a private location, with Covid-19 safety measures.
For the first time ever, the popular event will be held inside in a large, open warehouse-like space rather than an outdoor public location. Since contestants will be properly spaced out, the number of participants in each competition will also be limited, with only five eaters on hand for each round, as opposed to the typical 15-20. …

Contestants will be seated at a 30-foot-long table and separated by six feet, with the emcee standing six feet back. Staff at the event will all wear masks and gloves and the eaters will have several large plates of hot dogs in front of them to reduce interaction.
No fans allowed, but the "big" names will be there to compete, including Joey Chestnut. It will be televised on ESPN at 9am tomorrow. Will you watch? Personally, this whole thing makes me sick. Hot dogs are full of sodium nitrite, and it must really tax the cardiovascular system. But I would hope for an upset win by Takeru Kobayashi (six time champion) Maybe he is related to my brother inlaw, Kobayashi. And the female winner, half Japanese New Yorker, Miki Sudo. We could have the "all Japan" sweep? Why not donate the hot dogs to the needy? In fact, I may never eat another hot dog again! Note: Fooled you, didn't I? You thought dog day 4th would be a "ground hog day" type of email.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 17; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0732s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb