Businessman's Falls and Six Mile Creek Winery


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Ithaca
June 7th 2017
Published: June 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

We woke up a little earlier today because Kirby started the Youth Program at the International Society of Double Basses Conference at Ithaca College today.

We thought the television worked itself out but it went back to the 6 minutes on and about 10 minutes off. I know #firstworldproblems but it's just really annoying.

Long story short, the owners of the apartment called LG and it turns out there is a faulty part. The owners decided to replace to tv so that we could all move along. Works for us! Yeah!!



ISB - Youth Bassist Program

We did not bring Kirby's bass. We rented his bass for the week from a company that brought them onsite. We picked the bass up yesterday and put it in the gym where the Young Bassist Program would be meeting today.

We walked into the gym and the gym was packed with bassists that were 18 years and younger. It was quite overwhelming and this is probably one of the first times I had seen Kirby so nervous.

They were broken out into groups. I am unsure how groups were chosen. Maybe based on the application but we filled it out so long ago I can't even remember what I put on the sheet.

Anyway, the first session was from 9am to Noon, they had a 2 hour lunch and the last session was from 2pm to 4:50pm.

His first class was a master class about warming up your bass, setting up, practicing and 'adding spice' to your practice. He really enjoyed the session.

The afternoon workshops were focused around Jazz and learning to express your instrument.

They passed out music that they will be showcasing at the Saturday concert. Kirby was very excited about the Jazz music he will be playing.

Jeff and I were excited to hear how excited he was about the programs.



Businessman's Lunch Falls

The theme of our adventures in Ithaca have been water and getting lost. This trip falls right in line with the theme.

We are slowly getting our bearings. By the time we get it all down pat we will probably be packing up to start our next leg to Canada.

Anyway, during Kirby's two hour lunch break we decided to check out a park that is very close to the Ithaca town center. We packed a lunch and headed to the park.

The Falls are located at the Mulholland Wildflower Preserve.

It is a pretty small parking lot and truthfully it looks a little shady. I even read a sign at the entrance that said to lock your doors due to frequent break ins. We did see a few walkers so we ate our lunch and decided to go see the falls.

The trail was pretty muddy during due to the rain but we were able to find our way around the muck.

We stayed to the right of the trail and we came to the first bend in the river. I thought maybe otters or beavers might had built a dam but then again maybe not.

We walked a little bit more and we saw a tree that looked like a beaver might have chewed the tree so maybe there are beavers in the area.

We continued down the trail following the creek until we came to a dead end. Funny thing is that there was a group of college age kids that followed us to the dead end. When we turned around they kept going straight. Not sure why but the big glass bong in one of the girls hand might have something to do with it. Ha!

We found our way to the top of the fall and low and behold we find the bong wielding group down by the lake. There were a bunch of college kids in bathing suits around the lake area. I was a pretty lazy college student so props to them for walking a mile into the words for a hang out spot.

When I was talking to the person that replaced the tv she said that the college kids go down there and swim and jump from the upper falls to the lower falls. In really don't know how they do it. That current looks so strong.

We attempted to find our way back but we ended up about a quarter of a mile north of the trailhead. Well, we knew which road we were on since we had traveled down that road before so we just walked to road down to our car.

Prior to returning Kirby back to camp we stopped by Starbucks because that's what everyone needs after a 3 mile trail hike.



Six Creek Winery

We found a beautiful winery right down the road from our apartment. The winery is called the Six Creek Winery.

Man, the people at this winery were just awesome! At this winery you pay $5 for 6 tastes of wine.

At this winery they also distill liquor. I'm not sure exactly what she said but it was something like the leftovers from making the wine. I called it their form of diesel fuel and she kind of giggled and said, 'something like that.' They make vodka, gin, limoncella and some others. You can taste test those too but we didn't today.

We also did not try the sweet or semi-sweet wines because they do not make them onsite. They outsource that process due to the volume and maybe how it is processed.

At this winery they also buy their red grapes from a different location. I am not sure if that is the case for everyone in this area but it's something I think I will follow up on tomorrow.

Today we tried seyval blanc, two different rieslings, Ithaca white, vignoles and rosatto.

As we were tasting and talking with the lady she told us about the property. On the property below the main building they have weddings, graduations and other types of events. The event area is just breath taking.

She also told us about a gorge that was in the center of town. I have been looking at the map but I had not heard of this one. She said it is called Cascadilla Creek. It really sounds like a place we could visit tomorrow during Kirby's lunch break.

We decided on the Seyval Blanc, thanked the lady for the wine education and drove to pick up Kirby from camp.

It is really fun learning about the area and all the wines. I look forward to our next winery. I will say that we have had pretty dumb luck about being able to have one on one conversations with the winery workers. I'm thinking off-season might be the way to go when it comes to tastings.



Evening Fun

I will say that we have settled into a nice routine. In the morning we visit a park and in the afternoon we visit a winery.

Tonight we made dinner in the apartment and then went to the laundry mat to catch up on the laundry.

While at the laundry mat we played a little Pokémon and picked up some milk from the grocery store.

On our way home we stopped by Dunkin Doughnuts for an after dinner snack.

Tomorrow we will get up and find the next park and winery. Cheers!


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb