Ballston Lake, NY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Ballston Lake
October 15th 2008
Published: October 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We haven't "travel blogged" in some time. We get so busy with short trips and just enjoying where we live that time goes by. When we are not "on the road," we live in spot that has many features of a great vacation ... but we are less than 15 minutes to and from work in Schenectady. Ballston Lake, a four mile long natural lake, is beautiful all four seasons. Residents and visitors enjoy swimming, trophy fishing, water skiing, boating, biking or hiking on our nearby bike path, snowmobiling and skating (once the ice is safe), bird watching, photography, enjoying lunch or dinner at Carney’s Irish style pub in a historic building on Ballston Lake’s Main Street (Route 146-A) and enjoying lunch or dinner at The Good Times with it’s seasonal deck and lake view (and only public boat launch on Ballston Lake). We are a quick trip into Schenectady with its Arts District surrounding Proctors theatre, revitalized Downtown, stylish Upper Union Street and historic Stockade neighborhoods; we are a short hop to Ballston Spa, a delightful village emerging as a player in the shadow of trendy Saratoga Springs; and a quick trip to the State Capitol in Albany. Day trips to New York, Montreal, Boston, Vermont, western Massachusetts and the Adirondacks are scenic and fairly quick by train or by car. From the air Ballston Lake is shaped like a violin; and you can "sort of" discern how it was at one time a connection between the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers. I almost forgot to mention agri-tourism here in Ballston Lake. Lake Side Farm / Cider Mill offers the best in local produce AND has memorable breakfasts, wonderful sandwiches, occasional special dinners, and special events like antique and craft shows. It's a seasonal operation going from late April until after Thanksgiving - I stop there almost every night in the summer (just catching the 6pm closing time) for corn, tomatoes, basil, bedding plants, apples, cider and so much more. The pies and other baked goods from Lake Side are memorable AND in October, a witch appears on weekends. A number of christmas tree farms and pumpkin farms (Ellms Farm sells both seasonally) dot the landscape. Small roadside farms - like the Draina Farm on Outlet Road, and several on Schauber Road, and Ashdown Road offer just picked produce.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



26th October 2008

Great Idea!
What a great idea! Too often we forget how lucky we are to live in an area that many would envy as a vacation spot.
28th October 2008

Beautiful Blog
This is the most beautiful blog I've ever seen before in my life. These pictures look breath taking. You look like you have lots of fun. Can't wait to see more pictures and read more about your travels.
11th August 2009

Question
Hi! I was wondering if you could tell me where on the lake one can swim and/or relax by the water, and where there are hiking trails. I'd like to take a day trip to Ballston Lake, and want to spend it entirely outdoors. Thanks in advance!
13th September 2009

Ballston Lake Access
Hi Julia - sorry I took so long to get back to you. Ballston Lake has a free public fishing pier, access to a free hike/bike trail and free launch site for small car top boats (kayacks, etc.) at the north end of the lake. Access and a parking lot off of Outlet Road. Outlet runs between Lake Road and Route 50 (where Charlton Road comes into Saratoga Rd. - north Charlton Rd. Town of Ballston - there is another in the town of Glenville). The Good Times Restaurant on Lake Road has outdoor seating on a great deck with a lake view (good sunsets). The Good Times also has a boat launch for motor boats, fishing boats, etc. I believe the launching fee for fishing boats and motor boats is about $9. Other than that access to the lake is private. Great fishing!
28th July 2018

Ballston Lake
Beautiful pictures!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb