Southwest Chief across America


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
September 15th 2014
Published: September 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The South West Chief train was an altogether better experience than those so far on Amtrak.

Train started out from Chicago less than an hour late, and arrived in Flagstaff Arizona within an hour of the advertised time (despite losing time to chuck an unruly passenger off for disobeying the smoking ban, and a medical emergency causing another passenger to be taken off by ambulance).

Again no wifi, so onboard entertainment was limited to eating, sleeping, reading, and getting to know the other passengers. The train has a restuarant car serving 3 cooked meals per day included in the roomette price. We sat with different passengers each time, and got to hear their stories, which broke up the journey nicely. Most passengers were Americans. There was also a splendid observation car with glass all round for admiring the view.

The journey from Chicago to Flagstaff crossed 3 time zones. Each state is huge, and more the size of a European country than a county. The scenery gradually changed from the start of the journey, where we past fields of maize and soya beans and a fair few trees, to the arid lands of the West. Between Chicago and the Rockies it is pretty flat.....in fact we were advised that sleeping through Kansas we wouldn't miss much! (Sorry any reader from Kansas). We crossed the wide Missisippi river. The scenery became more mountainous and drier as we went through Colorado, New Mexico and into Arizona. There were a few sparse short shrubs and rocky looking ground. Water pumps and cattle here and there. Few houses.

Occasionally we stopped long enough at a station for passengers to get off, breathe fresh air, stretch their legs or have a smoke. This also allows Fred to say he has visited the various places - albeit for the 20 min staff change over! And they do actually shout out "ALL ABOARD"

This train did not have a washbasin or toilet in the roomette, but had very good and clean shared washroom and shower. (towels provided). What luxury to be able to shower and wash your hair while speeding through the countryside!

A memory we'll bring back is our Car Attendant, Fred. One of the most serene people we've ever met (pic attached).


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.666s; Tpl: 0.037s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb