Grand Canyon via Flagstaff


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Arizona
September 15th 2014
Published: September 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Arrived here after a night in Flagstaff (80 miles from the Canyon). A real hippy laid-back feel to Flagstaff and we hope to catch more of it in a mini stop over b4 our train to LA.

Well the GC exceeded all our expectatiins and every second you see another breathtaking view. We're here for 4 nights and our accomm is right on the rim of Angel Heights, about 20 foot from the edge! Fran's idea to book a year in advance has ensured we have about the best, moderately priced, accom we could have hoped for.

Again, like New York, protection of the environment is upper most in all the planning. Cars and plastic water bottles are banned. There is a free shuttle bus that brings you everywhete you need to go - we have used it to drive 5 miles in a given direction, and slowly hiking back. The Sunsets are unbelievable and lots of photographers gather at tge 3 or 4 vantage points and wait for 6.45 and the change in sky colours, hope to get some pics.

Meals are cheap and filling, and the service is great. Just heard a tropical storm (Polo) is skirting around the South of Arizona so we may get the fag end of that this evo.

Fran now blogging from Flagstaff Amtrak.....A lovely few days in Grand Canyon. I had not been able to book a night in the only accomodation at the bottom of the canyon (unless you carry your own tent) despite trying to book a year in advance. As it turned out, this really didnt matter and may have been a blessing. The rim walks were beautiful, as well as being unstrenuous, and offered wonderful views of the canyon at every turn, constantly changing with the time of day and light. On the first day of a brief rainstorm it was easy to jump on a free shuttle bus back to our room. We also found time to attend a ranger talk on condors and to visit the wonderful geology museum. One day we had an awesome hike half way down the Kaibab trail and back, and the last day part way down the Bright Angel trail. This felt more adventurous than the rim walk and showed the canyon from a different perspective.

Again we have been lucky. As we were leaving Grand Canyon and getting on the bus there was a full on thunderstorm. Happy to have been on a nice dry bus rather than deep in the canyon on a wet slippery path.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0269s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb