Lincoln


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
August 12th 2011
Published: August 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Murphy- Dolan StoreMurphy- Dolan StoreMurphy- Dolan Store

The Murphy-Dolan store served as the courthouse and "jail" at the time of the Lincoln County Wars. It did not have the stairs coming off the balcony at that time.
August 12 Lincoln, New Mexico
I stayed overnight at the BLM campground at the Equestrian Trailhead near Ft Sumner. The next morning I loaded up and drove into Lincoln. There are two main museums in Lincoln; one the courthouse museum and the other the Anderson Freeman Visitor Center and Museum. You can get a ticket in either for $5.00 to see both. The courthouse was actually the Murphy-Dolan store and living quarters with a section set aside for a court. There was no actual jail at the time of the Lincoln County Wars but prisoners were chained to U bolts attached to the floor. Billy was kept separate from the other prisoners in another part of the building and guarded by Deputy Bell and U S Deputy Marshall Bob Olinger. At the time of his escape Pat Garrett was out of town buying lumber to construct a gallows. What is now one large room was 4 smaller rooms at the time.
It is a good idea to allow at least half a day or more to visiting Lincoln if someone has any interest in the Lincoln county Wars at all. It is very well preserved and maintained by the park service.
Sunrise at Ft StantonSunrise at Ft StantonSunrise at Ft Stanton

Sunrise at my campsite on the BLM land near Ft Stanton at the Equestrian Trailhead

The Wortley Hotel has a dining room with a limited menu. It was where Bob Olinger took the other prisoners to eat which gave Billy the opportunity to kill Deputy Bell and then Bob Olinger when he rushed back after hearing the shot.
There are 18 photo's with this post so some will be below ad below.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Billy held hereBilly held here
Billy held here

This large room was divided into 4 small rooms and Billy was held in the corner room marked by the smaller white square. The window on the right is the window from which he shot Bob Olinger.
outhouseouthouse
outhouse

The present day restrooms are located on the spot where the outhouse was located that Billy visited and is supposed to have gotten a gun although this is disputed.
Where Deputy Bell diedWhere Deputy Bell died
Where Deputy Bell died

Deputy Bell stumbled out of this door and died where the plaque is after he was shot.
Deputy Bell shot hereDeputy Bell shot here
Deputy Bell shot here

The stairway were Deputy bell was shot. The bullet went through him and lodged in the wall below.
The torreonThe torreon
The torreon

This structure served as an early defense against Indian Attacks. It was used by the Murphy-Dolan faction for sharpshooters during the battle for Lincoln.


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb