Craters and Corners


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
August 10th 2008
Published: August 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We left Flagstaff this morning after pancakes at a local diner. Heading east, we stopped at the meteor crater between Winona and Winslow. It was a good ways off of the beaten path, but I suppose the crater was sort of in a fixed position and couldn't really be made closer to the highway... But that's alright.

I was expecting a cheesy roadside attraction but was fairly impressed by the small but well-laid out and informative museum of space-related exhibits that were on the property.

The crater itself was impressive, a huge hole in the ground. They had several viewing platforms set up so you could see it from different vantage points, and each had telescopes point at key features. I will allow, however, that I probably would have been more impressed with it all if it weren't for the fact that we'd just been to the Grand Canyon. That really puts things in a new perspective.


We cruised east after leaving the crater and saw a number of other Rt66 icons, or ghosts in some cases. Dinosaurs in Holbrook, as well as the Wigwam Motel. The Jackrabbit Trading Post. The twin arrows and Two Guns as well as others.


Next stop, Petrified Forest National Park. We were impressed with the fossil skeletons in the visitors center.

We were also impressed by the colors and textures of the fossilized trees.



And we thought this lizard was pretty cool too. We drove up through the park, stopped at some of the overlooks, and then at the Painted Desert viewing area at the north end.

Again, we impressed by the shear colors and textures of the place.


Moving on, we headed north to the Four Corners Monument so that we could stand in four states (and two times) at once.

While driving Rt 160 to Farmington, NM, we couldn't help but see Shiprock looming ominously on the horizon. It oddly seemed to stay shadowed even when everything around it was lit by sunlight. It reminded me of the some evil sorcer's fortress. We intended to wrap up the day at Aztec Ruins National Monument, but we took too long looking at everything else during the course of the day, so weren't able to get there before closing time. So, we'll start there tomorrow. Instead, we checked into our hotel, went to Pizza Hut, then settled in for the evening...

Advertisement



10th August 2008

cool raveling
Hi guys, You are really seing some very cool stuff. Loved the lizard. Driveway is stoned as well as retaining wall at carriage house; now we're having 6 trees cut down. Miss you all too much!! Party when you get home? xoxo Mom

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0415s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb