Day 3 - Del City, OK to Tucumcari, NM


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Tucumcari
June 24th 2010
Published: June 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We started in the cool of the morning again today at 5 AM. We stopped for breakfast around 9 AM at a Cracker Barrel. Our first planned stop was Tripp's Harley Davidson to purchase our first souvenir T-shirts. Ran into three guys that are on their way to Alaska. They left from Michigan and have already been to Key West. After we left there, it was on to the Cadillac Ranch on Route 66. This was a must as far as George was concerned. Our name is now etched on several of the old painted and rusty vehicles.

Today was another hot one. We arrived at our motel around 1:30pm. We stayed at an old historic motel called the Blue Swallow Motel. It was definitely authentic 50's and much nicer than the motel we stayed last night. Even has garages and murals painted inside. After unloading, we visited the dinosaur museum and the Tucumcari Historic Museum. George was a hoot with the dinosaurs.

Met a nice couple in the room next to us, John and Diane, who traveled here from Massachusets in their '69 Barracuda. They invited us to join them for dinner so we rode to the Lizard Lounge. Had a great time eating and talking.
.
The rain finally showed up which, hopefully, will be gone before tomorrow morning. We're heading to Gallup, NM and the El Rancho Motel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Motel muralsMotel murals
Motel murals

Our room is on this corner where all the murals are painted
Big RockBig Rock
Big Rock

Such power, such strength


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb