West of Santa Fe through the Native Lands


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Santa Fe
November 23rd 2012
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.6915, -105.937

After a beautiful sunset dinner with Katherine, Bob and Friends on Thanksgiving evening, the next morning we left Santa Fe and hit the road for the long day's drive for Heaven (Zion).

Actually, at the time, we had only planned to paddle and bike at Lake Powell. But at an intersection we followed intuition and had a wonderful time in Zion as well. More about that later.

The drive is probably around 8 to 9 hours if you don't stop much, but we took a break in Farmington and went shopping for groceries and fuel. One travels through the beautiful lands of first peoples who live in modern houses, trailers, and some may live in traditional homes. All very interesting.

We noted a brand new regional high school and health complex along the way.

Also stopped at the Code Talkers Museum inside the Burger King (!) in Kayenta, AZ.

At the end of the journey it was Friday night and we decided to hear music at the friendly Windy Mesa in Page, AZ

Afterward we drove the final 10 miles to Wahweap Campground in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.

Next morning we broke out the folding bikes and went for a spin. Had a leisurely day and then at about 5 went to the very nearby concessionaire run Lake Powell Resort bar for dinner.

Beautiful sunset, magnificent scenery....



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0183s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb