Santa Fe


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Santa Fe
October 15th 2015
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.6915, -105.937

Before we left Albuquerque, we stopped at the Museum of Natural History and Science. It had a lot of info about the history of New Mexico. After that we drove over to Santa Fe. We checked into our B&B and headed over to the old part of town. We had some lunch and then toured the San Miguel Mission Church. It is considered the oldest active church in the nation. After that we visited the oldest adobe house in Santa Fe. It was originally constructed in 1200 AD. It has been added onto and reconstructed several times. But there are several parts of it that are original.
We then visited the Loretto Chapel. It has a really neat staircase that goes up to the choir loft. The staircase looks like it is floating in the air and only supported at the top and bottom. It was built in 1878 using only wooden pegs and no nails or screws.
Next was the Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi. The parish was founded in 1610 and the church was built in 1869. After that we stopped at a bar for a beer and headed back to our room for a nap. We walked into old town for a nice dinner.
Today, we got up and headed out to Taos. We stopped at the San Francisco De Asis church for a look see. Then on to the Taos Pueblo. This is an original pueblo village that is still inhabited by Indians. No plumbing, no electricity and water is carried in buckets from the nearby river. That is the way the Indians that live there want it. I wouldn't want to live there!
Next we went over the Rio Grande Gorge bridge. The gorge is 650 feet deep. They have mini kiosks at several places on the bridge and you can push a button and talk to a crisis manager so you don't commit suicide.
After that, we drove home, had a quick rest and then back to old town for another wonderful dinner.
Tomorrow we have a chance of rain. We are going to drive to Los Alamos, which is where they worked on the atom bomb.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



16th October 2015

Looks like you've had quite the Catholic experience, followed with the communal beer.
16th October 2015

A hot tub in a church?!?!?
18th October 2015

Interesting some still choose to live that way! Do you have to be native or do they take people looking to drop out of society? (no, not me!)
18th October 2015

Yummy Dinner! Ha ha
18th October 2015

Beautiful Stairs! Could you walk up them?
18th October 2015

Beautiful! Do they actually get inside it?
21st October 2015

We enjoyed living in New Mexico and touring all around. Your pictures bring back a lot of memories. You should be safe to travel now, as you visited a lot of churches and I'm sure the good Lord noticed that too!
5th November 2015

Look at that old man in that old house!!

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb