Valley of the Pecos


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Pecos
October 19th 2007
Published: October 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We only have one week off work, so it's time to head towards home....

The valley of the Pecos river, as it flows out of the Sangre De Christo Mountains is one of the most beautiful and special places I have ever been. It's not the kind of spectacular beauty, like the Grand Canyon or Rocky Mountains, but a subtle magical play of light and colors. We come here often as we can.

Comanches and Apaches have traveled, camped & hunted here & left flint arrowheads and other artifacts. Other ancients before them. At present it is a center of New Mexico Hispanic culture.

One decends from the high dry Juniper Country into a fertile and watered valley. Buildings are made of adobe. Every bend in the river reveals new beauty. Fields are narrow, divided by the old spanish land grants. In season, they produce chilies, apples, grapes, hay, squash, beans, corn and more. The yellow of the autum cottonwood trees plays against the orange of the soil, greens of the grass, blue of the sky, and red of the rocks. The faint smell of pinon smoke is in the air.

I'm not enough of a photographer to capture this beauty, but I had to try.

Hope you enjoyed the story of this short trip in the US Southwest.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Last ridgeLast ridge
Last ridge

...as the sun sets, we pass the last ridge in New Mexico


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0876s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb