Kerrville, TX to Gila Cliff Dwellings in New Mexico


Advertisement
Published: February 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

cool picturecool picturecool picture

City of Rocks State Park
We are the new owners of a 5th wheel camper and truck to pull it with!! Our plan was to go to the botanical garden in San Antonio, and on the way stop to check out a 5th wheel we had seen at an RV show. We never got to the garden and by the end of the day we had traded in our Jeep and camper for a big white truck and 30' 5th wheel. Parting with the old was kinda sad, but living in the new is awesome!!



We stopped for a few days in Kerrville, TX ,and stayed at the state park there. Kerrville is the city my family lived in when we first immigrated to the US from Austria in 1952. Our point of entry was New Orleans. We were sponsored by Zion Lutheran Church in Kerrville. I have no memories of any of this, but it was interesting to see the area we first came to in the States.



After Kerrville, we headed for New Mexico - the Land of Enchantment and sunshine. We are in City of Rocks State Park in Faywood. A very unusual area of rock formations
The New RigThe New RigThe New Rig

30' Rockwood - 2 slides
that were part of a volcanic eruption 35 million years ago. The rocks have been shaped by wind and sand erosion and campsites for tenters are situated right among the rocks.



About 70 miles from the City of Rock park are the Gila Cliff Dwellings. These are some of the best preserved and most accessible ruins we have visited. To get there we had to drive route 15 - a white knuckle ride for some of us, but worth it to see the ruins built by the Mogollon(mo-go-yon) culture in 1276. The ruins are 180 feet above the canyon floor formed by the Gila River. About 40 rooms were built inside several natural caves and 80% of the original structures are still intact. We were able to go into 3 of the 6 dwellings. It was a great place to visit and the park people were excellent.

Click on pictures to enlarge.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

F-250F-250
F-250

2008 Ford XLT -all set up for towing by the original owner.
Zion Lutheran Church, KerrvilleZion Lutheran Church, Kerrville
Zion Lutheran Church, Kerrville

Only the outside is the same as 1952.
KerrvilleKerrville
Kerrville

The old theatre - I'm pretty sure we never went to this since our English was pretty limited.
Guadalupe RiverGuadalupe River
Guadalupe River

The river runs right through the center of town. My brother remembers walking to the river with his fishing pole.
New MexicoNew Mexico
New Mexico

Pretty typical scenery for the Chihuahuan Desert region.A very stark landscape against the blue sky.
City of Rocks State ParkCity of Rocks State Park
City of Rocks State Park

The state park uses wind power to fill the water tower.
RocksRocks
Rocks

This is Ron being photogenic.
Throne roomThrone room
Throne room

The rocks have been carved out by the wind and sand.
Uncle DaveUncle Dave
Uncle Dave

Exploring a Live Oak Tree
Route 15Route 15
Route 15

18 miles of hairpin turns on a road that was only 1 1/2 lanes wide. Beautiful scenery though.
Mule DeerMule Deer
Mule Deer

This guy popped out on the road after one of those turns.
Gila RuinsGila Ruins
Gila Ruins

A view of the ruins from across the canyon.
Park Ranger and TamPark Ranger and Tam
Park Ranger and Tam

The beams at the top are original and 700 years old.
2 story structure2 story structure
2 story structure

This was possibly used as a smoke house or for tanning hides.
Down the ladderDown the ladder
Down the ladder

This gives you a sense of how far down the Gila River is from the dwellings and how steep the sides are.
up the ladderup the ladder
up the ladder

Another perspective.


Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 16; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb