West New York, New Jersey - United States of America


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Jersey
July 2nd 2005
Published: January 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

West New YorkWest New YorkWest New York

West New York, New Jersey - United States of America

Jul 02, 2005









*City official name :West New York
*Founded date :
*Location :New Jersey State
*Elavation :? ft (? m)
*Area :Approximately ? square miles (? km²).
*Facts :West New York is a town in Hudson County, New Jersey, United States. As of the United States 2000 Census, the town population was 45,768.

West New York's Urban Enterprise Zone covers portions of Bergenline Avenue from 49th to 67th Street. In addition to other benefits to encourage employment within the Zone, shoppers can take advantage of a reduced 3½%!S(MISSING)ales tax rate (versus the 7%!r(MISSING)ate charged statewide).

The entire region living between the Hudson River and what is now Bergenline Avenue was selected as "Slonga"-Pitching of place. The original reason for slonga was to provide each landholder certain riparian rights to raft or float, whatever timber he chose to cut, down to his homestead in Bergen or over to New Amsterdam. The western border of Slonga, The Bergenline, was a surveyor's mark chosen by the modern title searchers as the "A" line. In about 1865, it gave the name and location to Bergenline Avenue, the most significant business street of West
West New YorkWest New YorkWest New York

West New York, New Jersey - United States of America
New York.

Since the days of the Civil War, numerous people have been enthralled by the old gate house on Park avenue facing fifty ninth street. People say it protected and sheltered the infamous "Jim Fisk", accomplice of Jay Gould in the "Black Friday" plot of 1869. Fisk used this hide out just before he was shot in January 1872, by his previous partner "Ed" Stokes.

In 1885, the first Town Hall was built on the location formerly occupied by the Schaider's hotel on Bergenline Avenue, south of the present sixty first street. This building also housed the equipment of the Empire Hook and Ladder Company.

On May 30,1928, Memorial High School was dedicated " To Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice", the veterans of World War I. Governor A. Harry Moore was the guest of honor for this occasion.

The West New York Public Library was founded in 1916. The Building was designed by the architect, William Mayer Jr., and was built in 1922 at Sixteenth Street on Saturday, September 9, 1922. The Public Library was remodeled and renovated on October 6, 1974. In recent years, new furniture, shelving, and other equipment have been added to serve the many patrons who use the library for the many services provided. The library provides service to local high school and grammar school students as well as adult patrons. The primary goal of the West New York Public Library is that all patron requests are answered fully. An electronic security system was installed in 1983 to prevent materials from being taken from the library. A computer system was added in 1984 to offer the patrons much faster service.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 23; qc: 94; dbt: 0.1623s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb