Travels With Charley


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Hampshire
February 11th 2010
Published: February 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Since I think of "travel" as moving from one place to another, I didn't write while we were staying in one place for a couple of weeks. Kissimmee was pleasant, although generally cool and often cloudy. But as we heard about snow up north, we felt very fortunate. We did leave a Super Bowl party at a sports bar richer; John won two of the four slots in a pool, for $15, and also won a dinner certificate worth up to $40 in a drawing. I am sorry to say that I was too lazy to get up to watch the shuttle launch at 4 AM the next morning.

John wanted to have our water tank valve looked at, so we made an appointment for Monday morning at Lazydays near Tampa - I think it's the largest RV dealer in the country. The service folks found a bunch to do on our RV, including replacing some very old-fashioned water hoses, etc. etc., and it was almost 6 PM when we finally left there. They did give us a free lunch, not a gourmet event (fried chicken leg, baked beans, and canned corn). A lot of people came to that lunch, and I fear that they perhaps eat similarly daily.

We arrived at the home of friends who rent in Sarasota, and parked in their driveway. Sorry I don't have a photo, because we were barely short of the street, and declined rather steeply toward it. It was easy to get from the bed to the bathroom, but we literally climbed (back) into bed. Also, the refrig was displeased, but it is operating fine again.

The friends were very gracious, and we had a fine time. The Siesta Key beach is exquisite. We sat on a bench drinking hot cocoa and watched hundreds of folks frolic on the sand, not in the water. Then we drove through a large Mennonite/Amish enclave in Sarasota. No horses or horse maure! They ride their bikes or trikes near to a bus stop, and then take a bus to the beach. Distinctive dress: bonnets, lond dresses, suspenders, short beards - the works. We also saw many old folks out walking, BUT as I grow older, I appreciate more how they looked - nicely tanned, reasonably slim, moving along at a good clip. Florida is really not a bad place at all.

We are now at an RV park near Ft. Myers. One bumper sticker here reads: "Don't put my flag on your foreign car." These are for the most part mid-westerners. I guess we are lucky that we didn't put one yet on our Toyota Corolla.... We are parked near several Canadians, and it is fun to listen to their accents. We can't get cable TV here, and will have to figure out some way to see some of the Olympics. Meanwhile, we are luxuriating in the sun, even though it is only in the low 60's, and plan shortly to drive to a beach. Then we will be visiting another friend.

Yesterday we drove a long way to get to a post office because I had a couple of Valentines to send that require extra postage. Maybe a dumb move, since I learned this morning that mail has not been delivered to DC, the cards' destination, for several days, and they will surely arrive very belatedly!

It is fun that we do not know where we will be next week at this time. What a great new way to live!

Advertisement



11th February 2010

Your latest posting
Haven't heard from you in a while, keep it coming, I'll send you some pictures before the snow melts. Our fence is under the snow in some places.
12th February 2010

your trip
Hi Linda, Funny to imagine you climbing back into bed, I can just picture it! How funny. Hey if you are in Naples, please find Phelps Jewelry and go in and say hi to my brother Tom. You will be able to pick him out, as we sometimes are thought to be twins. We are off to SF on the 20th to see the kids. Must say that I am not crying that we did not get the snow storms. Best to John, keep the blogs coming, love to read them. Jane and Rick

Tot: 0.148s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0846s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb