Nevaaaaaada


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada
May 3rd 2010
Published: May 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


After Leaving Napa we started moving back east toward home. The first stop along the way was Lake Tahoe and words can't even begin to describe how beautiful the area is. Maybe the pictures will begin to do it justice. Tahoe is a place of skiing in the winter and all manner of outdoor activities in the summer. Unfortunately, late Aprill really provides neither of those. Most of the camp grounds were closed and ski resorts were running out of snow so it was only a stop over for us. We went for a little hike with Joy, found a gym to exercise a little, and pushed on.

The road then takes a turn for the surreal. We had been watching TV last wek and heard about this little town in the hills of Nevada called Virginia City. It's an old western town that was actually the site of the Comstock Silver Rush. Any of you who may watch old westerns will probably recognize it. Our visit was only to be a drive through...maybe stop and walk around for the dog to stretch her legs. It tuned into a 4 hour visit repleat with cowboys, a marriage proposal, a ghost named Sheri and a mild dog bite. Don't get me wrong, most of the town is pretty touristy with hat shops, candy stores, and saloons, all of which have slot machines. But apparently on the weekends, there is a country band that comes and plays at a saloon called Bucket of Blood (no joke) with some very good, if expenive Bloody Mary's. That's not what's strange part. What was strange was to find 40-50 middle aged individuals dressed in FULL western attire, complete with Colt sidearms, double-barrel shotguns, and repeating rifles. Oh, and this wasn't a game just for the boys, their wives and girlfriends were present as well dressed in full length dresses or cowgirls outfits. This stuff was authentic right down the bullet in their belts. This whole experience was so great. I ended up asking the bar tender why everyone was dressed up and he said they were groupies, which I kind of bought. BUt then, we went downstairs to another little place called Sargeant Major's. I asked them why everyone was dressed and they revealed that they are actually NOT groupies of the band, but the Comstock Cowboys. These people dress like a cowboy everyday. In fact, the lady we were talking to said she saw one of them one time (named Chicago Bob) in shorts and a T-shirt and didn't recognize him at first. I have to tell you, this place was strange.....and so went our time in Nevada!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The Silver ladyThe Silver lady
The Silver lady

Contains over 1300 silver dollars minted almost entirely from silver mined from the Comstock Load
Random Shoe TreeRandom Shoe Tree
Random Shoe Tree

We saw this while driving across Nevada on highway 50...very strange


Tot: 0.2s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb