Viva Las Vegas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada
November 5th 2008
Published: November 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi everyone,
We ended up getting to Las Vegas fairly late in the evening yesterday, and though we gained an hour, it was dark and I am still on "eastern" time! I pretty much passed out as soon as we got into our room...and come to find out getting a room was a feat and a half! You would never know the economy was in bad shape the way the people are pouring out of the casinos here. Maybe everyone uses the excuse I did when I crumpled and bought another camera yesterday...I was helping to "stimulate the economy!"
To recap yesterday's events before I fell asleep will be a little hazy. We quickly drove back to Bryce Canyon so I could get a few shots with my new camera. I still can't get over how quiet it is...no one around except for the animals! We then headed to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon which is technically in Arizona but right on the Utah border. This is where my memory turns hazy. About all I remember of the trip is getting sick! Apparently altitude sickness is real...should you come here "hydrate hydrate hydrate" When we got out of the car I felt a little woozy but I thought "its all in your head." My mom of course was looking for snakes as SOON as we got out of the car and did not let go of my dad's hand once...except when we left her sitting on a step to go get a better look of the canyon! As we were hiking it up the trail...and it goes down THEN up...I was looking out at the vastness of the space. Its so empty...and very very deep! I don't know if it was just the height itself or a combination of the thin air (because of the elevation) and the height but it did me in. There I was frozen to the side of the trail...being passed by my 65 year old dad and a man with a CANE! I could go no further! He made it to the top...I did not. Before he came down a very nice Ranger passed me on the trail. I think he could see by the look on my face that I was not feeling well. His parting words of wisdom "see you at the top." Apparently he thought I was going to push through it...the only thing I did was leave my mark indelible on the trail!
As we left the Grand Canyon behind, we had 2 more shots to drive through the mountains. One being on the backside of Zion in Utah and then another on our way through Nevada. It was another incredible view. Then we hit the downtown traffic and the mountains were lost...and the gridlock began. The strip was bumping, but alas, I think hanging with the 'rents is starting to get tito me. I came up to the room and hit the hay. Apparently altitude sickness takes a lot out of you!
Today we have walked the strip, had some fabulous pizza at New York New York and been accosted by many homeless individuals...one of which who was sitting with a cell phone. Currently my mother is in the casino...and at lost check was up a good chunk. My father is passed out...I think we've done him in. And I, obviously, am writing to let you know that all is well in the land of Sin. Tomorrow we make our way to California. I don't think we will make it to San Francisco by tomorrow but hopefully Friday. I hope the weather is staying mild in Boston. Miss you all. Catch you all on the slip side!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The "trail"The "trail"
The "trail"

This is where I ended my journey!


6th November 2008

City of Sin
Have you found mom yet?? did she win big?? Beautiful pictures!! Hope your feeling better and that you all dont get tatoos!! Ya never know!! luv K
6th November 2008

buttercup
Hey Mary! Did you win big in Vegas? Where are you staying? I can't wait to hear your stories when you get home!
6th November 2008

I'll miss you in Salem this weekend but will be using a few of your recommendations! I love your blog and check it daily. Hurry back!
6th November 2008

Hey Mary Very entertaining. I feel like I'm right there with you. Great pictures too. We miss you can't wait to hear the stories when you get back.
6th November 2008

Re DPP
Hi Dpp! I did not win big in Vegas...in fact...gasp...I didn't even spend a penny on the penny slots! My mother, however, took home a hefty sum! She has all the luck. At least someone won! There were a bunch of conferences in Vegas and hardly any rooms on the strip so we had to settle for the Tropicana. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but it was a roof. We were supposed to stay at the Venetian but our plan fell through. Better luck next time. I went to Mandalay Bay though for you! It smells like suntan lotion all through that place! Miss ya!
6th November 2008

re Foxy
Hi Erin! I miss you as well. I wish I was able to hang in Salem with you also but alas I am here on the West coast and not complaining! I think the weather is better here! Take lots of pictures and I want to hear how you liked it when I get back! See you soon!
6th November 2008

re Debsy marks
Hi Deb. Glad your liking my blogs. Its certainly been an interesting trip so far. Wish all of you guys could be here having some wine and watching the sunset with me but alas someone has to take care of the babies! See you soon!
8th November 2008

Mary and Inspiration Point...that is worth developing and framing, just as a reminder.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb