Everything You Have to Do in Nevada besides the Vegas Strip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada
April 24th 2019
Published: April 24th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Most people associate Nevada with casinos, gambling and crazy nightlife. That is unfortunate, because there are so many great things to do and see besides that. Historic towns and sites, vast national parks and great driving opportunities, to name but a few. So, if you have your heart set on visiting Nevada or have always avoided it because you’re not that into casinos, here is a list of things to do and see while in Nevada.

Hoover Dam




If you’re looking for an awe-inspiring and memorable sight, look no further. This modern civil engineering wonder is also a National Historic Landmark, which you can visit all year round. Take a guided tour of the power plant and the dam to find out more about how it was built and why it’s so iconic. You’ll have a chance to explore passages within the dam itself, which is most certainly worth around two hours of your time.

The Mob Museum




History buffs will probably be interested in what this unique museum has to offer in terms of interactive re-telling of true stories related to the history of organized crime in the US and how the forces of law were trying to
deal with it. You can see hundreds of artefacts dating from various periods, starting with the late 19th century. There is so much to learn about the St. Valentine's Day Massacre, the relationships between Hollywood and politicians, as well as the times of Prohibition. Truly a unique experience that deals with an important part of American history.

Road trips




America is famous for some of the best routes in the world. Just think about the iconic Route 66 and you’ll realize why so many people still like to explore this magnificent country by driving. Nevada is part of some of the most amazing driving tours in the USA and if you’re one of those who like travelling by car, this is an opportunity that shouldn’t be missed. Just make sure you plan your trip carefully and feast your eyes on some of the most amazing landscapes in America.

National Atomic Testing Museum




Nevada is also the home of the National Atomic Testing Museum, which tries to shed light on nuclear weapons testing, so that the public would have a better understanding of its potential and dangers. With over 16,000 artefacts dedicated to the Nevada test site, atomic testing, the Cold War and nuclear science,
visitors can learn about atmospheric and underground testing, radiation and the atomic age, among other interesting things.

National Automobile Museum




We all know how important the automotive industry is and how much Americans love their vehicles. So, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that Nevada has a place where automobile artefacts are kept and where people can learn about the role of the car in American society. You can see some quite old and even unique models, some of which were owned by celebrities, such as casino magnate Bill Hurrah. The exhibition showcases the development in the industry over the past hundred years and you can choose audio or guided tours to find out more. Around two million visitors pass through this museum each year, which means there is definitely something very intriguing to see here.

Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe




You may imagine Nevada as nothing but a vast desert, but you’d be wrong. It also offers some great skiing experience and one of the most popular destinations is definitely Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe. Covering more than 2,100 acres, this resort is perfect for both beginners and advanced skiers, which means that even if you’ve never skied before, you can learn the basic with an instructor. The only thing to choose is whether you want private or group lessons and you’ll be skiing down some great slopes in no time.



These are just some ideas for your trip to Nevada that don’t include casinos and gambling. As you can see, Nevada has so much to offer to all people, regardless of their age or interest. You just need to find what you’re interested in and have a great time visiting one of the most popular states in America.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.455s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0635s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb