Day 5


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Reno
June 13th 2014
Published: June 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Day 5

Got up and out of Boise early – by 9:20 we were on the road – that’s early for us! It was quite cool - 62 degrees when we left. Hampton Inn gives you a cute “to-go” bag with water, a muffin, fruit, cereal bar and mints. I got three and we were set with snacks for the road. We chose to not stop at any sightseeing destinations so we could get to Reno at a reasonable hour. Tyler started as the driver and we switched after a while to Evan. We crossed from Idaho into Oregon for a short time and then entered Nevada. It is good practice for Evan to drive, but certainly not LA driving – it’s the open road. After a short stop for gas (where we saw a line-up of Porches) and a take-out stop in Winnemucca, NV, Sid’s Diner, we headed into Reno. It’s an easy drive with rolling hills/mountains and speed limits up to 75 mph. The temperature changed quite a bit on the drive, it dropped to the 50's and then ended up in the 70's. The best sign on the road was “Prison Area. Do not pick up hitchhikers.” Ya think??

We got to Reno by 4 p.m., checked in at the El Dorado Hotel (our clerk was named Kyle Hamburger – no joke) and headed to the casino. Tyler and I got players cards and tried our hand at some slots….no luck in Reno for me! We watched the Kings game – VICTORY! - Then headed out for a snack at Millie 24 – a coffee shop at the hotel. At our second try at slots, Tyler won $100 at the Wheel of Fortune game! (Yes, he was asked multiple times about his youthful appearance) We continued on our night going to see the sights of Reno. We stopped at the famous Reno sign (all lit up) and to see circus acts at Circus Circus. The hotels are attached so you just keep walking and you go through 3 hotels..lots to see and do…very convenient! We saw a cool acrobat on chairs and then played games. Tyler rocks at skee ball and he won cool prizes…one is a surprise for Elise..so I cannot divulge what is is..trust me, it’s so stinkin cute! Evan stayed in the room watching movies – to each his own – I tried to get him to come out but he was happy where he was, so I let him be. I went back to see one more circus act then called it a night. This is another place I’d like to come back to. There’s a lot more to see and do. We will be back in California tomorrow, making it the 7th state “visited” on our trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.007s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0474s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb