The 3 Most Important Security Factors to Consider when Buying a New Padlock


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
April 20th 2017
Published: April 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

If you want to clear up some space in your house, renting out a storage unit is a pretty good idea if you don’t have an attic or a cellar (or have one and it’s already full). There are many things to consider when doing this, but you’ve probably never even imaged you would also need to buy a padlock for it. You’d expect these places to be pretty safe, right? Well, most of them are, but better to be safe than sorry, right?

When buying a padlock, there are certain important factors that determine its security. Here’s what you need to consider before buying a padlock for self storage.



1.The shackle

A padlock’s shackle is the most important element it’s made up of because it works together with the locking mechanism and lock body. The shackle of a padlock is also the first area robbers attack when trying to break into a storage unit, or anything else that is protected by a shackle. Thus you need to find a padlock with a shackle that is just the right size. A shackle that is too small will leave your padlock exposed and vulnerable to intruders, while one that is too big will most likely not fit.

The best option here is to buy a padlock with a closed shackle. Closed shackles expose less of the mechanism, which in turn makes the entire thing harder to break into. On top of that, it’s important to look for steel shackles, because steel is the strongest and safest metal you can choose in this situation.



2. The metal

The type of metal the entire padlock is made of is also an important security element that you need to analyze closely. While most padlocks tend to be made out of brass, you need to avoid them completely because brass is cheap and can be easily broken. Thus, high-security padlocks are never ever made of brass. However, if your budget is limited and you want something more affordable, then try to choose a solid brass padlock. That’s your best option.

However, if you can afford to spend a bit more on your padlock, then you should go for a steel one. Steel is the strongest and most reliable metal, and thus a padlock made of it will be extremely safe and no one will be able to break it.



3. The content of the storage unit

Many people ignore this aspect, even though it’s the most important factor when choosing a padlock. You need to understand what it is you’re protecting, so that you can act accordingly and choose a padlock that is best suited for what’s inside. You don’t want to spend too much on a device that protects a bunch of cheap junk you just can’t allow yourself to throw away, can you now?

Advertisement



Tot: 0.38s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0975s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb